Friday, September 15, 2017

I Felt Like Tiny Tim Forgotten and Abandoned...

Well, my doctor's appointment went swell (sarcasm). I didn't say one word other than the initial pleasantries as I walked into my doctor's office. Dad and I took our respective seats and soon the shenanigans began. Dad and my doctor got embroiled in a rolling and convoluted conversation about painkillers in the psychiatric and pharmaceutical world. They were talking shop as some would say.

"Don't look so slumped over and nervous like that," dad told me at one point trying to bolster me and my spirits. "You look pitiful!"

"I am nervous and I am having a lot of anxiety!" I protested as my doctor and my father continued their rolling conversation on painkillers.

I then very timidly and rudely said, interrupting the conversation, "I want to leave and go get Maggie's and my steak biscuits as our reward."

That was my father's cue to shake my psychiatrist's hand and tell him goodbye. I don't have to come back for another six months.

"I'm sorry," my father said on the drive home as we ate our biscuits. "I didn't realize how uncomfortable you were."

"I thought I was going to jump out of my skin for a moment there," I replied.

4 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I have said this before... But I will say it again... what good does it do you having your father dictate your visit and coach you on if you talk? It goes against medical ethics in terms of your treatment. It is a true shame your mental health care provider allows this nonsense. Your father basically orchestrates your care not the doctor.

PipeTobacco

glittermom said...

You should be seeing your dr. One on one. You need to ask your father nicely to butt out.

Summer said...

Pipe and glittermom are correct. But you know that.

amelia said...

Agree with everyone. Your dad should mind his own business. You need to talk to your doc alone.
Having said that, we all know you won't do it so just wasting time.