Thursday, December 21, 2017

A Chicken Snack Box or Beer?

I walked across the highway heading from the railroad tracks to the convenience store this afternoon. I had in mind to purchase a fried chicken snack box which this convenience store is reknowned for.

For curiosity's sake, I ended up peering into the beer cooler and was aghast at how much the price of beer has gone up over the years. "Idiot," I muttered to myself for even looking. I only had $10 to spend. I walked out of the store with a box of inexpensive chicken livers and a regular Coke on ice.

"Can I have some extra ketchup?" I asked the server before paying and she put about twenty packs in my box which made me smile. Can you say overkill? I put them in my condiment drawer at home and will eventually use them. I am always running out of ketchup.

I saw lots of trains today which thrilled me to death. A lot of interesting and odd locomotives. There were even some new Union Pacific locomotives on lease that were pulling freight for CSX. The Union Pacific is a western/midwest railway and seldom seen in the South. The locomotives of my youth were so much more varied and interesting than the modern locomotives today, though. I miss seeing an occasional EMD GP38-2 matched up with a GP30, or a  GE U33C (or U-Boats as we always called them).

Chicken livers are an aquired taste, but I knew Maggie would scarf some down. She was prancing as I opened the front door wondering what treats I had brought her today.  I had about six chicken livers left in the box and she consumed them with zest. Yes, chicken is a good thing.

1 comment:

Summer said...

Do trains run on diesel?