Sunday, December 17, 2017

Are We There Yet?



I got a big surprise this morning when my father's Honda pulled up in front of the house instead of Charlie's Caprica. What was happening to Sunday morning biscuits? I walked out to the car as dad rolled down his darkly tinted window.

"Come on," dad said. "We're going to Jack's in LaFayette for breakfast."

Charlie was riding shotgun and Horsefly was in the backseat.

"Let me go change out of my pajamas," I said to my father and hurried inside.

"Hurry up or we are leaving without you. We are all hungry," my father replied.

All I had on was a t-shirt and some sweatpants. I changed into a nice button up shirt, blue jeans, and my glaring white new Air Jordans.

"That looks much better," my father, Hyacinth, said.

I poked Horsefly a few times on the drive and he would just burst out in laughter. It was like we always were when we were kids. It made Charlie smile.

It was a short drive to LaFayette -- the quaint little town that is our county's seat. We all got the big breakfast with a large coffee and Horsefly got a sausage biscuit and a Dr. Pepper. Charlie was nervous as hell about Horsefly's drink saying he hoped he didn't get sick and blow chunks in my father's car. He urged Horsefly to get a diet drink, but Horsefly put up a fuss.

Jack's has an awesome Southern-style breakfast. The grits were my favorite part of the meal. They were buttery and creamy. I made my biscuit go swimming in the sawmill gravy until it got gooey and soft. I ate it with a fork. My last act of the morning was to order a sausage biscuit to-go for the Magster. She would feel so left out if she didn't get her usual biscuit on Sunday morning.

No comments: