Thursday, December 28, 2017

Marsupial Machinations...

Possum babies are so cute!
My father was late tonight with my Cokes and cigarettes. It was almost 9 pm when he arrived. He usually arrives between 8 and 8:30 pm. Maggie had been on vigil for an hour.

"He's coming doll," I kept telling her.

Maggie squealed with glee the moment the beemer pulled up to the curb.

"Your cousin Johnny caught me on the phone and he gets his feelings extremely hurt if I try to get off the phone with him or cut the conversation short," dad explained to me. "I was stuck on the phone down at the pharmacy."

I had two cigarettes left so it was actually perfect timing.

"Let me check your medications and your bathroom," dad said. "And then we will feed and water Maggie."

I have to keep a spotless bathroom these days after Charlie went to all that trouble to clean it to perfection. I cleared the inspection with flying colors. Dad gave me my two sleeping pills as is his custom on such visits. As far as I am concerned, it is like giving me a placebo.

"Where are you going with Maggie's food?" Old Fuss and Feathers asked as I carried Maggie's food to the computer room.

"A possum is coming in every night and eating Maggie's food," I told my father. "We are feeding a possum and not Maggie if I don't do this."

Dad chuckled.

"And Maggie doesn't put up a fuss?" dad asked incredulously.

"She is sound asleep in the bed with me when it happens," I told him. "This possum is super stealthy. I've only seen it once in a chance meeting."

No comments: