Friday, August 05, 2016

And the Heavens Opened Forth and the Ham Therefor Commenced...

http://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/

"I can't believe it rained like that so late in the evening during summer," I told my father flabbergasted as he walked across the yard to my house his hands laden with food, drinks, and medications.Dad and I could hardly hear ourselves over Maggie's jubilant barking.  

It rained for a few good hours at dusk. I then walked out into the yard to help Papa bring everything inside -- excited about this bounty we were carrying and bringing inside. 

He agreed excitedly as well about the storms and said we need the rain something terrible. We usually have to have a cold front moving through from Canada to get such a deluge and vibrant electrical storm.

"It's called heat lightning," my father further educated me. "Or an electrical storm as my mother's generation would call it."

"Your mother would also say it was coming up a cloud!" I replied with a grin. 

My father just left leaving lots of goodies behind.  He had to wait on a very large thunderstorm to rain itself out before he headed my way so that's why he was running so late. His squash casserole was better than I remember it being. We also had a ham steak. I am not crazy about ham, but I was hungry and ate it anyway tonight. The temptation to give it to my Maggie was awful strong, but I resisted the urge.

Mom also sent my diet Cokes with my father and that was so very nice. It was a surprise. I haven't felt very able to get it together enough today to go get them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was watching the weather channel the other day because I had a huge lawn to put in and the guy said there is no such thing as "heat lightning" that it's a myth. I grew up hearing it called that too so I was a bit surprised.
"The old wives' tale that a hot, humid summer night can generate lightning without a thunderstorm, called "heat lighting," is exactly that--a meteorological myth."