Wednesday, August 31, 2016

My Father Could Befriend a Fence Post...


A student from Point University based downtown broke down in front of mom and dad's house tonight. He blew out two tires at once on his truck making me suspect he hit the high curb right in front of my parent's abode. My mother has had a few run-ins with that curb herself over the years. Many tires have died a sudden death due to my mother's indirection and lack of positional awareness.

My father took the student, a young fellow, under his wing until the student's father arrived from Macon, Georgia to help fix the tires. Dad even drove him to see the river house and then they went and got a hamburger plate at Roger's barbecue.

"Dad could befriend a fence post," I told my mother over the phone as I grinned to myself. "That is  just not something I got from my father genetically."

Mom was agitated as it got all our routines out of kilter. She said she already had her pajamas on when the young man knocked on the door.

"Your daddy has still got to do our grocery shopping as well tonight," she complained with a huff.

All of this didn't paint my mother in a pleasant light. Oh well, fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly.

No comments: