Wednesday, August 02, 2017

As the Day Winds Down...


I am hoping that my Epicurean father is in the kitchen cooking at this moment. I will gladly wait a little longer for my medications if that is what it takes to get a heaping helping of my Memaw's macaroni and cheese. He said he was also going to cook a pot roast and all the trimmings as well.

Just say no to cheap Kroger wine Johnny Otis!

That is the crucial factor for the day -- wine or mac and cheese.

Gifts From the Spauffords...

My father said that earlier in the day his neighbors, the Spauffords, brought him a whole basket of beautifully ripe tomatoes. He said he was going to bring me some to make tomato sandwiches with. I look forward to that, but it doesn't take much to please me or excite me these days. I told my father I needed a sharp knife to remove the tomato's skin, though.

Lost in Dreamland...

I unplugged the home phone last night and turned off my cell phone as I retired to the bed. Maggie jumped up on the bed and very soon we were in dreamland. When Tuleana finally got me on the phone around lunch today she was in a tizzy.

"I thought something terrible or bad had happened to you," she told me sounding deeply concerned when I answered the phone. "I have been trying to call you all morning!"

That woman could talk to a fence post and carry on a conversation. Her accent makes it so hard for me to understand her as well. She talks a mile a minute. Then I got the classic handoff to Richard. Richard is a man of few words.

1 comment:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Is it typical to skin a tomato in the South for sandwiches? I had never heard of that previously. Up here we slice tomatoes whole and eat the skins.

PipeTobacco