Tuesday, March 20, 2018

A Dirty and Bloody Business...


I caught another rat this morning. The SNAP! stirred me from a deep slumber. The trap landed on its hind leg and it was still alive and screeching in pain. I keep having to remind myself that I am waging a war on these animals -- the interlopers they are.

"What do I do?" I asked my father on the phone about this dirty and violent affair.

"Whack its head on the edge of your kitchen counter until it is dead," he told me. "You don't want it to suffer. Carry it out to the edge of the yard and throw it over the fence where Maggie can't get it."

It took three good violent whacks to kill it. I felt so terrible as if I had just committed murder. Then I remembered all the nights these rats have kept me up and kept me from sleeping. They have shit and pissed all under my sink. All is fair in love and war, right?

1 comment:

Kran's Crackers said...

I once had a mousetrap set, and it caught the mouse on the back legs. So it was still alive. And bleeding. And it dragged the damn trap througout the hallway and kitchen leaving a bloody trail, squeaking all the way. Not only did we have to dispatch the mouse, I had to clean mouse blood from my floors. Very disturbing.
- Sharon -