Monday, March 12, 2018

Shopping On An Empty Stomach...

I was bereft of anything nutritious to eat in my house today. I was hungry and was actually looking forward to braving the cold temperatures and a brisk Northerly wind to buy groceries tonight.

"Shit! It's cold!" my father said stepping out of his car in the Pig's parking lot. He followed me inside as I joked about spending $100 dollars.

"Yeah, you look like a $100 dollars," he said with a chuckle.

I chuckled as well. I have to keep Old Fuss and Feathers on his toes.

Last week, the Pig was out of my Ruth's chicken salad. It really isn't all that good anyway. I had suggested to Mrs. Camille that they start carrying Mrs. Grissom's Select chicken salad. Well, I'll be, they had my favorite chicken salad in stock along with the pimento cheese version as well. You could never get that kind of special treatment at Kroger. I spent $20 dollars and bought all four canisters of the chicken salad along with two loaves of honey wheat bread. A match made in heaven. I thanked Mrs. Camille profusely. She smiled with a Cheshire grin and was really eating up the attention.

As I toodled around the grocery store, I kept a tally in my head of what I was spending. When I got to $75, I quit shopping. They had gallons of whole milk for $2.20 and that was a steal of a deal and really helped my budget. I got my usual 4 gallons to accompany my giant bag of Malt-O-Meal frosted flakes. I didn't do too well on the diet front tonight. I bought lots of breakfast foods.

"That store is so clean and organized," my father told me as we were walking to our cars.

No comments: