Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Who's On Third?


"We haven't left home yet!" the umpire said.

"I forgot your Cokes," my father told me dourly tonight from his car. "They were sitting on the kitchen counter all ready to go."

Maggie and I were standing on the other side of the screen door -- both ready for his late arrival.

"That's okay," I disappointingly replied not wanting to put my father out.

"Come on and get in the car," he said. "We are going back to my house to get them. I know they are part of your cherished nightly routine."

Dad had spent the day taking the grandkids to see Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Little White House in Warm Springs Georgia and then he took them swimming. He was flustered and very tired. The weather was pretty deplorable as well.

Dad gave me an ice cold Coke out of the fridge. We were going to take my medications in the car.

"You've just got to come in and see Maggie!" I exclaimed to my father.

Maggie got her greatest wish fulfilled -- to see my father for yet another day.

No comments: