Monday, October 23, 2017

Kroger Tales -- An Eerie Quiet and Calm Greeted Us...

You could've heard a pin drop in Kroger tonight. Dad remarked to me that we had gone at the most opportune time. Not a soul was in sight except for a handful of employees. My father and I both got carts and started to do our shopping.

"I am baking Louise's chocolate pie tomorrow," my father said as we passed each other by the frozen foods aisle.

I am hooked on a brand of pimento cheese called Mrs. Grissom's. I bought an extra container of the delicious spread tonight to give to my father so he could try it.

"It tastes just like homemade," I told him enthusiasically. "The pimento cheese sandwiches taste even better if you butter the bread and toast them until golden and toasty brown. The cheese gets all gooey and scrumptious."

This week was a soup week for me. I bought a lot of canned Campbell's and Progresso soup and I will pay more for the expensive soups as well. The comparison and disparity to the cheap soups is notable. I have just got finished eating some Campbell's crab and corn chowder and it was quite delicious.

"You were judicious with your shopping tonight so thank you," My father said of my $72 dollar total cost.

I also smelled alcohol on my father's breath tonight as well. It makes him much more affectionate than he normally would be. He wasn't drunk by any means, but I am sure he had a good buzz going.

Delectable and Delicious...

I've got to get Papa's pork chop and rice recipe on the blog.

"Come get your meds and your supper," my father said calling me around 6 pm.

I hurriedly got in my car and headed over with much anticipation. The pork chops were wonderful, but I had qualms about taking my medications on such a full stomach. It always seems to reduce their efficacy to me. Sometimes you just have to flirt with disaster and complacency. My father went to a lot of trouble to put supper on the table tonight.

"When are we going to see about my internet?" I asked him cautiously.

"We will go at the end of the week," he replied from the kitchen.

I didn't argue or cajole him into going sooner, but the suspense is killing me.

1 comment:

Gin said...

I'm a homemade soup person, but the Progresso Cheese Chicken Enchilada soup is good. I do buy it to have for emergencies. If you haven't tried it, do. I think you'll like it.