Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Notes From the Medication Chronicles -- Let's All Be Civic Minded...

It turned 7 pm and the greyhounds were out of the gate meaning my father was off of work and hurrying through the Valley to get home. It wouldn't be long until my father pulled up in front of my house with meds, cigarettes, and Cokes. It had been over 24 hours since my last dosage of meds and I was feeling it tonight -- my heart just pounding in my chest.

"You and Charlie are just running the shit out of my new car," I jokingly told my father after he pulled up in front of my house tonight.

Dad laughed and laughed as he walked across my yard.

"I am going to tell Charlie you said that!" dad exclaimed. "He'll die laughing!"

Now, my father's car is in the shop as well. Charlie's car was in the shop the last previous two weeks. Both of them have been using mom's Honda Civic for the past few weeks.

"Next week it should be in your hands," my father promised me. "I want to get it aligned and balanced before I give it to you."

"Get me a wash and a wax as well," I told dad. "I will pay for it."

I greedily took my meds and leaned back relaxed in my recliner like a junky who had just shot up his heroin. They would take an hour to soak in, but my mind already felt at ease. I call it the placebo effect. My pounding heart soon quieted to a murmur.

No comments: