Monday, October 30, 2017

Hey Sourpuss! Here's a Lemon Meringue Pie!

It finally happened. Lightning can strike the same place twice. It was like rolling the dice and getting snake eyes. Kroger finally had Edward's lemon meringue pies in stock and they were on sale for $4.99. I was overly overjoyed. I've been waiting for months for this to happen. I got two pies and I am going to thaw one and keep the other in the freezer.

Come to find out that Kroger is under new management. The cashier gave us an earful about the previous manager who she said was a layabout.

"He just sat in his office and talked on the phone all day," the cashier told us.

Dad followed me around the store tonight much to my benefit as you shall see. This is something he rarely does as he is a bad influence on our budget. I called him Andrew's little helper and he laughed and patted me on my back.

"Well, you didn't get enough groceries last week and you ended up hungry by Friday," my father said. "I don't want you to go hungry."

He would look in my cart every so often and tell me that's not enough and we would continue our shopping efforts. I was like a kid in a candy store. It was quite like shopping with Charlie. I wanted mainly sandwich fixings and dad encouraged me to get quite a few Marie Calender's meals and all other assorted amounts of things.

"This is getting expensive," I told my father rather worriedly as we were wrapping things up and heading up front to the cashier.

We did end up spending $114 when I average around $65 dollars. I happily loaded up my car and headed home to unload once again. Maggie supervised as I carried bag after bag inside and put them on my kitchen counters and then filed them away in my kitchen cabinets.

3 comments:

Rita said...

There is such a thing as having food left over from one week to the next. My family always stocked up with lots of home canned goods, a freezer full of meet and a pantry of goods. Of course, they had originally been farmers and sometimes couldn't get to town for weeks. One of my grandmothers told me there was a time when she didn't go to town for over a year. Her children boarded in town to go to h.s. and grandpa would take them to town and pick them up for the weekend. My guess is that the pickup was too full for her to go as well. \

Rita said...

Oops, should have reread and edited: meat, not meet.

diana said...

My father was just home on leave from Germany. He made a Costco visit, sigh. Anyone need a case of tomato sauce? He does this every time he's here on leave. I once had enough paper products to last 2 years. :-) I work 14 hour days and rarely cook, still he thinks the pantry needs to be stocked. Last count I had 34 cans of tuna!
At least he knows I will never go hungry. I love him. :-)