Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Can There Be A World Without Want?


I hadn't been in Fred's for ages until this afternoon. I was almost out of my favorite Irish Spring deodorant. I've been getting it at Kroger but forgot this week and Fred's has a much better price as well.

"How have you been honey?" the white-maned cashier asked me.

"Fair to middling I guess," I told her with a warm smile.

I was surprised to see her still working there. Their employee turnover rate is like mucho crazy.

"If you still want a job, we can put you to work."

I thanked her profusely.

"Someday, I may take you up on that offer," I told her grinning warmly.

It is nice to be wanted, you know?

I know I would have to work for it but wouldn't it be nice not having Johnny Otis looking over my shoulder with everything I spend? To buy a computer part without the Spanish Inquisition after me?

As I walked out the door of Fred's, I saw a scratch off lottery ticket on the pavement in the parking lot. Of course, I had to go pick it up and look. I understand the allure of the things. They almost won $20 dollars. That's one thing I have no inclination to do and that is to play the lottery. My father callously says the lottery is a tax on stupid people.

Whew! Happy Birthday After All!

I was so worried all these game controllers wouldn't work with my computer and their corresponding emulators. That would be $95 dollars flushed deftly down the toilet. My worries were for naught thankfully. I have almost all of my ghetto computer's USB ports brimming with game controllers and tuned to my favorite emulators. Earlier, I was playing Breath of Fire on an SNES emulator. A game I've been wanting to play for years.

George? Don't Leave Us So Soon!

George has a very strong New England accent when you talk to him. I can't quite put my finger on what region, though. I also gave him my wrought iron rocking chair and he just loves it.

"Come over here, have a beer, and we will talk for awhile," he will say to me when he catches me outside.

Well, I haven't seen George for days. I've been tempted to knock on the door but I worried what I may find. He hasn't driven to the Waffle House for his usual breakfast and his home has been so dark at night. Imagine my elation when I just saw him drive to the Circle K down the street for some more beer!

No comments: