Monday, April 24, 2017

Aw, Man! Those Confederates!

Lincoln At Gettysburg
I was in the land of very deep REM sleep when someone knocked on the door very, very early this morning. Maggie flew off the bed in a hurry to see who it was. She was growling as she ran. It caught the both of us off guard.

"Who is it?" I asked loudly as I walked into the den.

Maggie was now wagging her tail standing behind the front door.

"Happy Confederate Holiday!" a loud voice said on the other side of the door. It was Charlie and he had the day off. He had brought Maggie and me a sack of sausage biscuits. The Duchess just squealed with joy at the sound of Charlie's voice!

"Do you know why we went to war?" Charlie asked as he handed me the sack.

Charlie's great with antiques and not so much with history.

"States rights," I replied. "Lincoln later tacked on emancipation to bolster the war effort."

"I was going to say slavery," Charlie told me.

"Do you know where the war started?" I asked Charlie. "The first shots were fired at Fort Sumter South Carolina."

I used to love to sit in the bowels of Montevallo's huge library and read books about the Civil War.

I liked to have never gone back to sleep this morning.  I had stayed up to around 4:00 AM. I woke up at 4:00 PM after drifting back off again sometime around 10:00 AM. My eyes were burning I was so tired early this morning.

By the way, I just evoked the Auschwitz Mantra about all the sausage biscuits the Duchess and I have been getting lately. I would be quite happy to have it if I were eating gruel with boiled maggots in it.


No comments: