Saturday, April 15, 2017

George, Casseroles, and Shortcake...

Janice cooked a beef and macaroni casserole last night. It was really cheesy on top. You know me and casseroles, right? I was in absolute heaven. It was accompanied by a big cast iron pan of Janice's pork cracklin' cornbread.

Finally, we could savor my father's fruits of his labor. He worked all afternoon slicing strawberries. The strawberry shortcakes were delicious. I went back for an extra helping of casserole and dessert and felt overly stuffed -- that kind of uncomfortable fullness.

"You sprinkled sugar all over these strawberries like you mother would do," I told my father who was smiling.

Late Calls Before Bedtime...

"Dad? Do you ever get lonely?" I asked my father last night late on the phone feeling maudlin.

"It is quiet now that your mother is gone, but I don't ever get lonely," he told me. "This phone rings constantly."

I was missing my old friend George last night. I could call him and he would be right over in his Dodge Diplomat with a case of beer, pizza, and lots of debauchery.

"Are you okay?" my father asked me sincerely. "I will come over and sit for awhile if you want me to."

"I'm fine," I told my gracious father in reply. "You go to bed and I am headed that way myself."

No comments: