Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Of Little Pills and Pint Sized Pups....

"Shhh..." I told my father as he quietly walked across my front yard -- not the usual pleasantries we portray and display. I was standing on the other side of my screened in door waiting for zero hour.

"We are going to surprise Maggie tonight." I said quietly.

Dad had arrived for our nightly crazy med/medication ritual quite early. It was still dusk outside. He had also worked all day and you could tell it by the dark bags under his eyes. It's not like Maggie to miss a visit as well. We had caught her unaware.

"MAGGIE!!! Papas here!!!!"

Maggie came flying through the dog door from outside, thru the kitchen, sliding around the corner, and finally landing in the den. Her tail was wagging a hundred miles a minute. Dad loves it when she does that.

"That's my Duchess..." my father said to Maggie rubbing her vigorously when she had arrived. "The Princess of Mauritania and Maratouse.

"Pops? That dog is best thing that you've ever done for me!" and I was very serious and sincere in saying that.

"Severe weather tonight," I then told my father. "It should roll through here about 4 AM in morning. If you hear any freight trains outside your window then you need to head to the basement.

Gracious Extra Miles and Beyond...

My father has been so kind to make sure I have my Coca-Colas and cigarillos every night. It really is a marvel to be seen. I reciprocate by there having no extraneous "surprise" charges on my debit card. These kind of rituals can stymie my father and I -- we forget to bring them or on an erratic schedule. Traditionally, mom would take car of that task with due diligence. It was so nice to have some sodas to nurse before going to bed. Tonight's batch is getting chilled in the freezer as I write this.

No comments: