Saturday, April 29, 2017

That Voice -- that Voice of a Thousand Memories...

I couldn't get my father on his cell phone so I called dad's landline at his house this morning. It rang and rang until it dumped me into my parent's voicemail. Mom's voice on the message service said she couldn't come to the phone at that time and to please leave a message.

The sound of my mother's voice sent me reeling and made me very melancholy. A tear erupted from my eye. I miss my mother very much. We were two peas in a pod. Dad says I got the worst of the both of them with regards to my faulty genes. I told him it just makes me eccentric to use a kinder word. "That Andrew certainly is an interesting fellow!"

"I've been meaning to change that," my rather technophobe father said at lunch today. "I am probably going to recruit you into doing that. The security code is taped on the side of the fridge."

It is the only recording of my mother's voice so I told my father to get a recording of that message if he could.

"Tell them to burn it to a compact disc or email it to you!" I told my father.

"I always said that your mother would outlive me for decades," he said. "But I was wrong."

In the Land of Milk and Honey...

Dad dropped by the afternoon with a catfish plate from Roger's barbecue. I love surprises like that.

"I thought you may be running low on groceries," my father said.

"You are correct in that assessment, Sir!" I replied.

Those fried catfish plates are pretty expensive as well. In a few moments, my whole house smelled of fried catfish. It was driving Maggie nuts. It was a 3 piece filet plate so I gave Maggie one filet. What did she do? She took such a morsel outside and buried it in the backyard. I had a face-palm moment for a minute there.

"I am heading home," my father said. "Enjoy your plate and I hope mine is not yet cold."

4 comments:

glittermom said...

I would leave your mothers message on the phone. It might make you sad to hear it but one day you'll be glad to hear her voice..it's sad to think when someone's gone you'll never hear their voice again.

Andrew said...

Glittermom, I appreciated the comment!

Summer said...

I still have my mother's phone numbers in my cell phone. I just can't bear to remove them. It's the little things.

Anonymous said...

You know, I worried about both of your lack of emotions over Miss Martha. Both you and your dad seemed to take it strangely. But then, I only see the Blog; not the real folk. But what you said about the message hit me.

I had a small voice clip of Fred after his first sky dive. The clip basically said, "Hey Baby!" I had it on my phone. Then one night, our daughter called with car trouble and I kid you not; my phone rang with Fred's voice! Fred had been dead for 10 months and to this day, I do NOT know how the clip attached itself to her number and it has never rang that way again! Freaky!!