Sunday, October 08, 2006

And the answer is yes…

I called Carolyn’s cell phone tonight letting her know I am home.

“Hey gal,” I said.

“You home?” She asked.

“I just pulled into the driveway,” I replied.

“I am coming over,” She said as she hung up the phone.

I mulled around smoking cigarettes and the occasional pipe as I listened to music for what seemed like hours. I was actually worried about Maggie. I hated she was in the kennel. I felt it would completely fuck up her sense of home. I had worried about it all weekend. I had also worried about Carolyn as well and the whole meeting the family ordeal that didn’t occur.

Carolyn finally pulled up into my driveway and wrapped her arms around me as she stealthily walked up behind me as I sat in the wrought iron chair in my back yard. AC/DC’s Back in Black was blasting out my windows on my home theater.

“God, you stink like cigarettes,” She said. “I really wish you would quit smoking. I worry it is going to kill you.”

“Well, that is a great homecoming,” I replied. “That is so optimistic.”

“You know you should quit,” She replied tersely as she held my hand.

“Ma’am, I would love a ‘hello and glad to see you,’” I said. “I have missed you as well.”

“I am sorry,” She said as she walked in front of my chair as I stood up.

We kissed and hugged each other.

“Have you really missed me?” She asked demurely as she held me.

“Yes, I’ve thought about you all weekend,” I replied. “Now it is time for me and you to go enjoy each other for the rest of the week.”

“My bags are in the car,” She told me. “I am yours till Thursday.”

I walked out to her car and got her bags out and brought them inside.

“Carolyn?” I asked as I shut the door and walked in.

There was no answer.

I walked into my bedroom to find her sound asleep on my bed. It seems both of us will be tired for this trip. Hopefully, our nerves will not be frayed upon coming home. I kissed her on the forehead and pulled the covers around her.

“Good night, sweetheart,” I told her as I brushed her hair to the side, out of her face.

She whimpered softly and clutched my spare pillow in her arms. She still hasn’t escaped the grasps of the night shift. She had stayed up all day waiting on me and was now deathly tired.

Good night gentle soul and tomorrow I will take you on a trip of your life. We will have a grand time and enjoy each other fully. Now, I need to go to bed and quit writing this shit and staying up!!!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

A good night's sleep before the trip. Glad you wrote in-between. What a whirlwind! I know what you mean about all the driving on vacations. I hope you and Carolyn have the best of times in Savannah. You guys are going to have more one-on-one time than ever before, right? Have FUN!

gregoire5 said...

Have Fun!!!!

Laurent