Sunday, October 15, 2006

Illness Overcomes Me…

I had a terrible afternoon with my mental illness. I was having some severe panic attacks. My heart would race, my head would swim and I couldn’t concentrate, and I felt a tightness in my chest and butterflies in my stomach. It was the most horrible and disconcerting experience. I was also seeing hallucinations in my peripheral vision and was extremely paranoid. I finally broke down and called my parent’s house as I thought I needed to go to the hospital. My brother answered and told me to walk over so he could check me out.

Alex checked many things included my blood sugar, heart rate, skin tone, blood pressure, etc. He came to the conclusion that I was just dehydrated and that will exacerbate my symptoms. My brother-in-law drove down to get me a big bottle of Gatorade and I mean BIG! My sister, who is also a doctor, stayed right by me and held my hand. She kept checking my pulse rate as well which was racing. Then my brother gave me four Zanax to take and it knocked me out. I walked back home, crawled into my bed and fell soundly asleep. I woke up feeling normal again. Thank god for doctors in the family!

4 comments:

summeraug said...

Hey Honey...I am happy you're feeling better now. Enjoy your evening. Nothing like a rainy Sunday evening and a little Carolyn by your side......

cozy_one said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better Andrew. It's nice to know your family is supportive and understanding.

Blessings

joyous said...

I didn't realize that dehydration could make the symptoms worse. I've started having anxiety attacks, and I never know what "causes" them (if anything). I'll have to start keeping track of how much I'm drinking, see if that affects it.

abbagirl74 said...

what a fright. glad to hear everything is okay.