Friday, October 27, 2006

For Summer…

I am always worried these kinds of writings are just boring, mundane crap between Carolyn and Me. I thought I would write this for Summer though as she wanted a “Carolyn and Me” encounter last night and one happened just a moment ago.

___________________________


As is my habit when returning home from going to the store for cigarettes, I just checked my answering machine for messages. There was last night’s message from Abbagirl that made me smile once again. I played it back twice. I love how she told me if I wanted to actually “shoot the shit” to pick up the phone. I enjoy her bluntness and candor. Then there was a message from Carolyn…

Friday, 11:06 AM, you have one new message,” The answering machine bellowed in its artificial synthesized voice that sounded like a bad Stephen Hawking impersonation.

“Hey, you up yet?” Carolyn asked me sleepily as I could hear her yawn on the other end as the message played. “Where in the hell are you this time of morning? You always get up at ungodly hours. Call me back.”

I picked up the phone and called her back. The phone rang and rang and I was growing worried Carolyn wouldn’t answer. She finally picked up the phone. She had fallen back asleep.

“Is something wrong?” I asked. “You should be at work.”

“I called in sick!” She said with glee like a giddy school child getting to stay home from school because of a snow day. “I told them to take that job and shove it! Well, not really, but I did my good hacking cough and flu routine. I needed a day off. I am worn out. They are working the shit out of me.”

I laughed.

“Stick it to the man, girl,” I replied. “Show ‘em who’s boss. I just don't want you to lose your job though.”

“So, what are you going to do now?” I then asked Carolyn.

“I am going to sit around for the rest of the day in my pajamas and watch really bad TV that you would hate,” She replied. “You want to join me?”

“No thanks,” I replied. “You know I don’t care much for the boob tube.”

“I’ll make it worth your while,” She replied enticingly.

“Well, I promised myself I would get in twelve more miles today,” I replied. “On the trail this summer, I will have to hike rain, snow, or shine.”

“Waffle House? Noonish? Ham and Cheese Omelet? Hash browns: smothered, covered and chunked?” She asked.

There was a silence as I mulled over the very enticing offer. She was trying to get to me by going through my stomach.

“My treat?” Carolyn finally replied to put the proverbial icing on the cake.

“I will pick you up around 12:30,” I replied.

“You men are so predictable,” She said as she laughed and we hung up our respective phones.

It seems I have a lunch date and it will be nice. We have seen very little of each other these past few weeks. No, I am not going to let her pay. I think I can afford a few ham and cheese omelets and hash browns. It is not like the Waffle House is avant-garde cuisine pushing the envelope of culinary and dining excellence and emptying wallets.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed being able to read your blog once you blocked it. Thanks for unblocking us crazy readers who find your word interesting :)

celerman said...

Got here via random next blog. Connected through your profile and enjoyed your writing. I'll try to come back

Matt said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You have an accessible writing style that readers will find alluring. Best wishes.

di said...

hi J! :) I've been popping in and just now have time to comment.

As always, even though you don't think so, your writings whether they be of your personal relationships, your love of the outdoors, or your trials and tribulations with life, are always so interesting to me. And to many others as I notice how many more regular and partipating regulars you've acquired! Way to go!

In reference to an earlier post about fundraising and directing donations, anything I can to help you know that I will do :) Just email. I'm always here.

Now, back to my deadlines. Miss ya!

di said...

Ooops!! Almost forgot. I have a bottle of A1 here with your name on it! Maybe it'll end up being a Xmas present lol.

Emily said...

came across your blog while mindlessly clicking through random blogs. it's great and i will definitely bookmark it...

mohan said...

Very good one, I just came through the site and randomly read ur's. good one...

Summer said...

For many, many reasons, I like to hear about you and Carolyn. Thank you for another glimpse into your relationship.