Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Dammit…

I just drove down to the library and Rachel is at work. I saw her electric blue Volkswagen Beetle Turbo sitting in the parking lot as I drove by. No library for me today. I just can’t deal with Rachel’s questions and small talk today (or her evil eye).

Mom just called me as soon as I got home. She wants to ride with me tomorrow as I go to see my therapist. She wants to go eat Jim Bob’s chicken fingers afterwards (Jesus fingers. I will explain tomorrow.).

“It is so good to see you want to get out and about,” I told her. “I have missed our Thursday night dinner outings.”

“I am trying to turn over a new leaf,” She replied. “I have been sleeping at night again and staying up during the day. Your father’s maid drives me crazy though with her busy cleaning and cooking in the mornings.”

“What do you do with your days, mom?” I asked.

“I have been trying to watch my soap operas, but have a hard time staying focused upon them. I also read a lot of books these days,” She replied. “I try to walk a mile every morning as well, but my leg kills me. I have been going to soft tissue therapy.”

“Well, I will see you tomorrow, say around lunch time?” I asked.

“We will go in my car,” She replied. “And save you that gas to Auburn.”

“Thanks mom,” I said. “I love you.”

“I love you too, son,” She replied and we hung up the phone.

It is so cool seeing my mom try to perk up some. Previously, she spent most of her life lying in the bed, literally! It would drive me crazy to just lie in the bed like that all day and for most of the night.

It is a beautiful day here. The calm before the storm I might add as a strong storm front is predicted to roll through in the next few days. It will be our first real taste of fall weather. The temperature is currently hovering around 81 degrees Fahrenheit. I think I will go lay an old quilt upon the green grass in my backyard and enjoy an afternoon of smoking my tobacco pipe and reading. I am currently enthralled with The Grapevine, a magazine published by Alcoholics Anonymous. I love their stories of recovery. They are so inspiring. Good day.

4 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

You know I always love the posts about your mother. I am glad to hear that she is wanting to get out of the house. This will be a great road trip for you and her. Hopefully the weather will be promising. Maybe you could take her to the park after lunch and go for a short walk. That would be wonderful. Oh, I can't wait to hear about it tomorrow. Have fun.

Jade said...

Who's Rachel? I guess I've missed alot huh?

Andrew said...

Jade,

Rachel is my ex-wife.

Summer said...

Another magazine you would surely enjoy is The Sun Magazine. Great for writers and photographers. Very touching stories.