Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Finding Equilibrium…

I know I never talk about my mental illness. Like I wrote in my profile to the right, I try not to let it define me. I’ve read a lot of blogs and online journals by people with schizophrenia and mental illness and they got to where they depressed me and I quit reading them all. It is one thing to deal with mental illness on a daily basis and quite another to have to read about it constantly as well. I just have enough symptoms of my own without constantly reading about others trials with these diseases of the brain and a lot of it was incessant whining. And it is a disease no less debilitating than lets say cancer. It robs you of your life, yet you live on an empty, broken shell if you can’t find medications that help. And some never do; forever caged in the tormenting prisons that are their minds living the rest of their lives homeless and destitute or in care homes and institutions shunned by their families. Death is not a viable respite unless you take such matters into your own hands unlike those with more “chronic” life ending diseases that can be seen on blood tests, CAT scans, MRIs, and X-Rays.

I still struggle daily, but just don’t share it. I have learned that when people hear or read you have schizophrenia then that automatically conjures images of killers and violent individuals in their minds. You are immediately distrusted and treated as suspect. I think we all have seen the episodes of Law and Order or CSI were the killer is a delusional schizophrenic who takes the life of a loved one because his voices were telling him to do so. Schizophrenics are such convenient plot devices for crime dramas as it makes a compelling story and interesting court room battle as the defendant tries to plea insanity along with the moral and ethical questions that arise. I would argue that most schizophrenics are more apt to hurt themselves than others. This disease will predisposition you for self destruction and/or suicide. There are always exceptions to the rule though, but the same goes for mentally healthy society as well. There are far more mentally capable killers and crime committers than there ever will be mentally ill of the same ilk.

I hope for some of you that have read me for a long time will see that schizophrenics can be kind, caring, and loving people with the proper treatment. I have fears, wants, desires, and lusts just like you. I also have a vibrant soul and mind yearning to express themselves. I love and care about a great deal of people in my online and offline life and want only what is best for them. I would never want to harm those that I care about deeply.

One of my most persistent symptoms lately is paranoia of ridicule in public. I am scared of strangers and unfamiliar people. I feel they are watching me intently and laughing at me behind my back and to my face. Often on these daily hikes lately, I leave the house and cross the Georgia state line just yards down from my home. Soon, I am in downtown West Point, Georgia; a bustling old southern downtown with many walking pedestrians, cars whizzing by, and century old storefronts. As I walk through town to reach the tracks beyond, I have to fight the thoughts that all these many eyes are prying and watching me. A simple smile and hello as a stranger passes on the sidewalk can mean to me that they are mocking me and laughing at me. It is so pervasive it can be all encompassing to me at that moment. It is a battle to push those thoughts out of my mind and to rationalize “normal” thinking about such matters. Without the help of my medications, I would not be able to grasp that last step in these encounters.

17 comments:

Summer said...

I'm sorry you're feeling that way. Have you ever been given reason to feel like that? Were you ridiculed or made fun of as a child? Or is it strictly a symptom of your illness?

You know who loves you here.

Andrew said...

Summer,

I had a pretty normal childhood other than being extremely socially awkward. It is just my Schiz acting up at times. This is the main focus I and my therapist are working on these days. She gave me tons of reading material on social phobias and paranoia and I have been reading up on it before going to bed. She also wants me to start attending social gatherings for The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill down in Auburn, Alabama. If I can only get up the courage to take that first step, drive down there, and go! The first step is always the hardest just like me crossing that bridge yesterday.

You know I love you lots as well!!!

stitchingpooh said...

Wow as a nurse in a state institution it is very refreshing to hear the story of one who is really working to make a difference in his life. most of the people I deal with have given up on their lives. You are an inspiration, and don't you forget it. Yes alot of the stories are about people who lose it and do some horrible thing, but don't forget thats not everyone and people who are not schizo do bad things to. And keep up the good work with your therapist and make the trip. You'll se its worth it, you might get more out of it than you ever imagined. Maybe take a friend... Well gotta get good luck :o)

Holly said...

Andrew… there are so many people that have mental illness and they still live, work and play as you do. Though I don’t have your diagnosis, I struggle daily with voices in my head that tell me lies as well. Sometimes I wonder if they will ever go away but I have learned to talk back to them and on some days I am strong enough to just ignore it. Some days, its worse. When you are out in public, you look like everyone else and maybe people are looking at you because you are handsome or interesting or for some other positive reason. Some of the most interesting people I know are weird… and they don’t have mental illness. God made all of us with such wonderful diversity and He has blessed us with your grand blog and we are grateful that you share your thoughts and life with us. So… when you go for your walk today, enjoy it and know that we are walking with you :)

abbagirl74 said...

Andrew, I love ya man. You are that kind, caring and loving person. We know that you would never harm anyone.

As for the ridicule, just remember that you control the eye contact. Perhaps you could say hello first? Or even a nod of your head. Think of each person as either Annabel, Pipe, myself, or any other of your on-line blogging friends.

OK.NOWwhat said...

Hi, Andrew,
Whatr extraordinary luck to come upon your blog randomly. Your struggle I have some knowledge of. Your intelligence I admire. Your courage seems unbelievable. If Walden is your Bible, then I say: May Henry David Thoreau bless you exceedingly, every day of your precious life.

Andrew said...

Pipe,

Thanks so much for sharing that comment that took such time and thought to write. I have read it through three times. I have often said to my real life family and friends about you being one of the most special souls I have encountered doing this whole online blogging thing. I tend to put you up on a pedestal though and think of you as such a self assured person and would have never imagined you would have struggled with such issues. I appreciate your sharing that story with me.

Yes, the biochemical imbalances in the chemistry of my brain exacerabate such symptoms, but my recent reinvigorated joy of hiking and exploring has helped me overcome my fears and paranoia just like your desires of becoming a professor made you overcome your fears of teaching in front of a class as well. Hopefully, with the help of a very expensive therapist and just getting out and experiencing the fear it will lessen or maybe I can learn to cope better with it. As FDR once prominently said in his first inaugural speech to a nation wrapped in the throes of a great depression, “Only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Your good and, as always, stalwart friend,

Andrew

latibug said...

Andrew -

I pray that you are able to find a balance and I admire your courage to write about your illness here. Thank you for allowing all of us to have a peek at your world.

Blessings,
Lisa

Jones said...

Andrew,

Thank you for your courage in writing your true fears and feelings about them. That takes a lot of guts and I commend you for it. You're right, the first step is the hardest but like anything in life, once you do it you're better for the experience.

I admire you Andrew and picture you as a strong courageous man hiking his way through life. Keep up the good work.

austere said...

I read this too. Just wanted you to know that. Nothing more to add to what everyone else has said.You'll do fine.

SeNoRiTa said...

Hi Andrew,

I find your Blog in the flood of blogs here at blogger.com.

I enjoyed reading it, wheather my english isn't very well ( I'm from Germany!), but I want to give a comment to the words you write in your blog.

I have respect, because you talk about your problems so public. I also have a blog, but I don't write about such emotional things.

Do you feel better after writting this posts?

I hope you do, because you seem to me like beeing a very nice an sympathic person!

Nice greets sent you

KleineSenorita

megastein said...

How brave of you to write about what is on your mind concerning shizophrenia. Having been diagnosed already and working with a therapist just confirms your courage. I still struggle a lot with the many biases people have against those who's illnesses cannot be seen or quantifiably tested. It helps so much to see someone who, like me, is a work in progress talk about their feelings and thoughts on their mental illness. Thank you for sharing Andrew.

Summer said...

Pipe... Wonderful perspective. I will try it myself tomorrow. Thanks.

Andrew... I do have great confidence in you. I truly feel you're headed in the right direction. Trust yourself.

Faith said...

Andrew, I just found your blog this past weekend, but I'm glad I did.

I have a mother who has struggled with schizophrenia off and on during all of my life. She's been suffering from this most recent episode for over six years, refusing to admit the need for medication.

I understand what you mean about the unfortunate stigma that so many have of schizophrenia because of Hollywood and the like. Thanks for being so open at times. I hope you continue to do so.

Spiritual Recovery said...

Hello Andrew,
I'm someone like you who has gone through a schizophrenic break. Also like you, I also have a blog where I address issues related to schizophrenia. It's probably not like some of the blogs you've read before because it's devoted entirely to the subject of recovery from psychosis and schizophrenia.

I created that blog in the aftermath of encountering two psychiatrists on the net who were insistent that there is no cure from schizophrenia. [Ref: How this blog got started ...] I think it's fair to say that those psychiatrists lost that argument. Many, many people have recovered from serious mental illnesses, including schizophrenia.

Please note there is nothing for sale there: no books, no vitamins, no religions to join, no workshops, no cassette tapes. It's simply a place where I've gathered articles that can offer hope to others. You are more than welcome to wander through and take from it what you find helpful or to share the url with others if you think it is appropriate.

Regards,

spiritual_emergency

Spiritual Recovery said...

After having read a bit more of your blog I suggest you go hang a bit with Mickey. I think this will serve nicely as an introduction: Marek: A Story About Schizophrenia

Mickey/Marek has three blogs...

#1: Mickey Ripped

#2: Disordered

#3: Mick Underground: My reOrdered Randomness

Sue said...

I just wanted to let you know that I DO NOT JUDGE YOU on your mental illness, I have however judged you to be the caring, wonderful, brilliant soul you are, this judgement comes from months of being a faithful reader. I think you are one of a kind and it's too bad we didn't have more you's running (or should I say hiking) around the world.

I have never been a shy or introverted person... I am quite the opposite, but I want to tell you that I often look at people in the eye when I am out and about and in all honesty.. no negative thoughts are running in my mind about the other person.. I can only speak for myself, but it is very seldom I am thinking about anything about them when I do give them a little smile or have eye contact, it just comes natural for me.. next time you feel like you are being looked at, it's probably not about you at all. I am often too consumed with my life, that I often don't have the time to "judge" anyone around me... especially a passer by. Just like when you are looking at them, you are worried they are looking at you and judging you; at that moment you were only thinking about you and your fears/insecurities.. you weren't thinking anything negative about them... anyways I hope that made a little sense and maybe it can help rationalise your thoughts when you are trying to deal with such an overwhelming feeling. With that being said I want you to know that I don't truly know or understand what you do go through on a daily basis, the mind is such a powerful thing, but I hope my 2 cents can somehow help you get through the process.

I hope you sleep well,
Sue