Monday, October 16, 2006

That Darned Dog…

I was being really sweet and nice to Maggie tonight. She got one of her favorite treats: a tin of sardines in soybean oil. I then let her outside to do her business before we retired to bed. Did she return the favor? Oh, hell no!

I am ready for bed and she refuses to come in. Every time I would get close enough to pick her up and bring her in, she would go tearing across the backyard barking her fool little head off. I know the neighbors must be thinking, “I am gonna kill that dog when I see it in the morning.” It is almost 1:30 AM in the morning and Maggie is still going strong.

So, here I sit in the wee hours of the morning waiting on a little stubborn headed dog to get her fill of barking at who knows what. She better play nice and decide it’s time for bed or she might not get her treat tomorrow evening. Oh, the joys of being a “parent” to a furry little four legged friend. Is this how parents feel waiting on their son or daughter to come home from a late night out after the prom or a date?

_________________________


Mom also called me this evening.

“I am going to get you some Gatorade tomorrow so you don’t get dehydrated again,” She said. “I will get it when I buy your Chef Boyardee at Givorn’s.”

Yes, mom is still buying me the weekly bags of canned spaghetti, ravioli, and beefaroni which I don’t eat and occasionally give to Dumpster Diving Dan who gleefully accepts them. It gives him a day off from dumpster diving.

“Mom, you don’t have to do that,” I replied. “I can go buy some if I need it.”

“I am worried you will procrastinate and not buy any,” She said.

“Okay mom,” I replied as I smiled at her tenacity and caring.

Knowing my mother she will buy four gallons of the stuff like she will buy me ten cans of Chef Boyardee a week. Bless her soul. She can’t do anything in moderation. She used to would buy hundreds of dollars worth of groceries in my childhood and go overboard. It embarrassed my brother when she would pull up to the checkout line with four or five of everything and two buggies full; one my brother had to push around. Dad would always freak out at the end of the month balancing her check book for her when he saw what she had spent at the grocery store that month. Some habits just die hard I guess. Love ya mom quirks and all.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

That's what Mum's are for isn't it? To look after you and to be embarassing? Although the embarassing part is the other way around when your children are very young believe me, I speak from experience.
Glad you are feeling better.
-Sharon