Saturday, October 28, 2006

Quarter no more…

I had an enjoyable hike today. I only made four miles though. My legs felt like rubber. I am tired today for some reason.

I once again walked the rails despite it being trespassing on railroad property. Thankfully, I didn’t encounter any Bulls (railroad police). The rails were really busy around noon. Train after train passed. It can be quite harrowing when you are only three feet from a roaring, million ton freight with a steep drop off being your only recourse to get off from near the tracks. A few times, I had to stumble down an embankment to let the trains fly by to keep me unscathed. It is fun to live dangerously sometimes though.

I once again walked behind the abandoned cotton mill. Far down the tracks, I saw the signal change from green to yellow to red signifying a train was on the way. I walked over to the tracks and placed a spare quarter upon one of the rails. I then went and sat upon the old loading dock behind the mill to await the train while I pulled out a cherry hinted cigarillo and lit it up. Smoking that cigarillo brought back fond memories of Sherman. I miss that guy. He was the biggest screw up drunk there ever was, but he was also a very good and dear friend. The rumor down at the shopping center is he will be getting out of jail soon on early release for good behavior. I have my doubts though as he would have written me about it most likely.

The train finally rumbled by as the ground shook underneath my feet from its great weight. It was an intermodal container train; a high priority freight traveling at a high rate of speed. These trains have precedence over all others as this is the railroad’s big money maker these days. I watched as the last car passed and the end of the train device (EOT) flashed off into the distance and disappeared around the corner far down the tracks. I walked over to pick up my now sliver thin piece of metal that was once a quarter dollar. It was still very warm to the touch from the friction of the wheels and the compression from the weight of the train. I always loved doing that as a child. I guess I am still a kid at heart to be 34. I put it in my backpack as a souvenir of today’s journey and hiked on home with renewed vigor.

10 comments:

Zephyr said...

Hey Andrew..!!
Nice hike u had.. I love hiking too but somehow...living in Mumbai..never really get a chance..but I make it a point to go hiking when I'm in Nashik my hometown..!!

AppleHolic said...

Hi andrew..
I just surf the blog..
and somehow arrive at yours
anyway... nice blog and story u have
I hope we can be a friend and share something in our life
Anyway... hope u r always okay there

Heaven Nose said...

Powerful and honest writing. Keep up the good work. And keep in touch with the inner child!

Mansi said...

Hi,

I am a student and I am working on a project for school. Let me know if I can interview you. It is a project on bloggers.

write back to me!

Just a living tantrum said...

sometimes i wish life was simpler my life seems not that way but i think your story is great you seem to see the good things rather than the bad i like it that way keep up your attitude its a good way to go about

abbagirl74 said...

A quarter on the tracks. Makes you wonder about life. Once a quarter, now a sleek piece of metal. It went through such a dramatic event and totally changed the outside. We all see the changes on the outside, but we know that it is still a quarter. A unique quarter that has gone through a major "change".

Here is what to think about. You are a person who may have gone through some challenges. Now, you are a unique person because of those challenges. The physical changes are deep, but the mental and emotional ones are deeper.

I hope you never change. But if per chance you do meet up with a train, I have a feeling that you won't turn into a pretty piece of metal. But be squished like a bug. :) Love ya!

Kris said...

Just cruising blogs and landed here, great writing and blog design, I ll be sure to drop by again ... ha ha .. Id do the rock on the track thingie ..

M said...

It's good to be a kid at heart,no matter how old you are! (-:

I am so happy that you left a message on my blog! I thought your blog had gone to "invitation" only so I had stopped checking it. I wanted to respect your privacy.

I am glad to see that your blog is open to the public again! I love reading your words and I missed you.

Leann said...

Hi

I've been remiss for a few days and had to go back and catch up!

Mustard on sausage biscuit...now that I've never heard of.

It sounds like all of the treks you've been taking are clearing your head and giving you time to reflect.

You are sooo right about the vehicle thing. If we'd all spend more time hoofing it than sitting in our autos we'd see much more of what's around us. Sometimes it's not so much what you see, but the sights and sounds that you experience.

Summer said...

Please ask Santa for a camera...