Saturday, October 28, 2006

Good Morning Sunshine…

I awoke this morning in Carolyn’s bed after finally falling back asleep. I rolled over to find her still resting soundly and snoring softly. I never sleep well over at her house like I do at home. I quietly crawled out of bed and made my way to the kitchen still in my t-shirt, underwear, and tube socks. I stood at her fridge and looked inside after opening the door.

Girl, you need do to some serious shopping,” I thought to myself looking at the meager offerings that greeted me from within the fridge's stark white and almost empty confines.

Carolyn has an automatic coffee maker and she had prepared it the night before. It wasn’t set to go off for another hour. I pushed the button to manually start it and soon the coffee was ready. I poured a cup and stood at her backdoor looking out upon her backyard while one of her cats purred and weaved in and out from between my legs rubbing up against them.

“Hey sweetheart,” I said bending over to pet her.

She purred ever so more loudly experiencing what can only be cat nirvana.

It was freezing cold in Carolyn’s house this morning. I tend to be cold natured and she gets pissed off when I turn up the heat real high because of the costs. I had to fight the urge to fiddle with the thermostat. I quietly walked back to the bedroom and pulled on some sweat pants and a pull-over fleece shirt. She stirred.

“Hey hon, you up?” She said as she rolled over to look at me with her head sticking out from under the covers. Her hair was all amiss. I smiled, tickled at the view.

“Yeah, you know me. I can’t sleep well these days,” I replied. “I was going to start breakfast, but you don’t have much to eat in the fridge. Your eggs are out of date and the bacon looks a little funky.”

“Go get us some sausage biscuits at McDonald’s and I will get up and get a shower,” She replied. “Get ten dollars out of my purse on the table in the den.”

I got in my car and made my way down to the wondrous establishment of fine cuisine that is our local Mickey D’s. They are staffed with the finest examples of exemplary personages.

“Can I take your order?” The attendant replied sounding bored through the speaker as I pulled up to order at the drive thru.

“Yeah, I want two sausage biscuits and two large OJs,” I replied.

“Two sausage biscuits and two large coffees?” She then repeated.

“No coffees. Two large ORANGE JUICES please,” I replied trying to be patient.

I hate fast food, but was hungry beyond reproach this morning. She finally repeated my order and got it right giving me the total. By this time, a large line of cars had formed behind me. I should know better in that it is always faster to just park, walk inside, and order. I was being sleepily lazy. I finally got our food and headed back to Carolyn’s house.

“Did you get any packets of mustard?” Carolyn asked me as I stepped through the door upon returning.

She had a towel wrapped around her head after washing her hair and taking a shower.

“I know you well enough to know you like mustard on your sausage biscuits,” I replied.

We both curled up closely on the couch as we ate our sausage biscuits and drank our orange juice. Carolyn had washed her hair with some kind of apple scented shampoo that actually smelled more appetizing than the breakfast I was eating. Sponge Bob Square Pants was also showing on Nickelodeon upon the TV. I don’t watch it much, but it is my favorite cartoon and I find it hilarious. I laughed heartily at Sponge Bob’s and Patrick’s antics.

“I am going to get you a Sponge Bob t-shirt for Christmas,” Carolyn told me.

“That would be so awesome,” I replied. “I will wear it with pride.”

We sat there for the longest time curled up watching stupid cartoons after eating and enjoying each other’s company. It was a fine start to a wonderful Saturday morning. Now, I am off for my daily hike. Today’s goal is at least six miles, but my legs and feet sure are sore this morning and balking from these previous day’s exertions. Hopefully, I can get these old dogs to perform this morning. Good day.

4 comments:

amie said...

I got in my car and made my way down to the wondrous establishment of fine cuisine that is our local Mickey D’s. They are staffed with the finest examples of exemplary personages.- too funny! I guess the hiring criteria are the same everywhere!

SKQBDOO said...

Your writings oooze with happiness these days!!! I love it. Have a great day.

abbagirl74 said...

Hey booger. SpongeBob is awesome!! I have a SpongeBob pillowcase that I love.

brit-cakes said...

i was just browsing. && wanted to say that you are an incredible writer.