Wednesday, July 27, 2016

There is a Lot Going On In Papa's Kitchen...

"Can I take my medications early today?" I timidly asked my father  as I rolled the dice of fate over the phone this afternoon.

It was a long shot, but I had to ask anyway. My father had the ingredients for a decent afternoon or a miserable existence. I did this after the cursory phone call filled with pleasantries and greetings.

Maggie and I had just crawled out of the bed about 4pm. The withdrawal was pretty acute today for some unknown reason. I wanted to cover my head and sleep the day away, but my circadian rhythms decided it was time to wake up for another day.

"Give me fifteen minutes so I have time to get home," my father said leaving Kroger. "And we will get you fixed up."

Dad said he was cooking his pork chops and Campbell's chicken and rice soup concoction. It is always delicious and he said himself or Charlie would bring me by a plate tonight.

I was astonished that was so easy. There were no gnashing of teeth and hard questions to answer. It was a simple phone call and a drive over to get my medications. Everybody was glad to see me.

As I drove to my parents, I noticed Fred's Super Dollar was crazy busy -- tons of cars in the parking lot. I was going to stop for some Johnny Otis sanctioned cashew bits and peices but decided to forego Fred's after seeing that.

1 comment:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

This begging for medications early seems to be a continual problem. If your father does not trust you to take them on your own, it seems he should be willing to administer them at the same time exactly every day. What would happen if you were to get into a pattern of taking them at 8am every morning at their house? Or what about taking it at noon at the pharmacy every day? Stability in when you take them should reduce your anxiety about the matter.

PipeTobacco