Friday, July 08, 2016

You're Going to Love This Cantaloupe...

http://www.sugarandspicescrubs.com/
"It is about as sweet as they come!" my father told me excitedly.

"This is delicious," my mother said propped up in her recliner with her book in her lap.

It was the Friday before the weekend. The pharmacy would be closed all weekend so it was safe for my father to have a few glasses of wine without the remote chance of him getting called in to work. I could smell the alcohol on his breath and he was extremely talkative with me while I was at my parent's house. Alcohol is truly a social lubricant for some of us. It made me ride out dirt roads and listen to lonesome sounding country music and AM talkshows.

The cantaloupe was delicious and it reminded me of my father's mother who also loved melons. There is also an art to getting cantaloupe at the height of its ripeness.

The kitchen also smelled wonderfully delicious -- about as delicious as it has ever smelled. Dad was simmering a big pot of vegetable beef soup and it was beckoning for me to try it.. It was Charlie's wife's recipe which I have put up on the blog before.

"I will bring you some soup and cornbread when I come to give you your medications," my father said.

Dad made aspersions that he would be really late tonight with my medications.  I am going to guess around 10pm tonight. At least, he had the common courtesy to tell me ahead of time.

1 comment:

glittermom said...

I love cantaloupe...the problem is knowing when it's ready to cut open..