Friday, July 22, 2016

Lights, Darkness, Distance...

https://spiritualclarity.wordpress.com
"Your father is on the way," my mother told me over the phone after our customary one ring and call back.

I love it when mom calls and gives me a heads up like that. ETAs are always welcomed. Maggie and I both took our places on the couch on lookout for Papa. Ten cars drove down the main drag and then a black Honda, the eleventh car, pulled up next to my curb. Maggie went bonkers when she recognized my father's CR-V.

Moments Later...

The medication ritual is in the books. Dad and I both were in quiet and somber moods tonight -- not much talking going on. Maggie has usurped my usual sitting spot next to my father. She's the big dog of the house and she knows it. I have to now sit in the recliner next to the couch.

"You tell them how it is going to be, girl!" my father said with a hearty laugh as I looked upon this in dismay.

Dad brought me more welcomed leftover corned beef hash of which I am about to partake in as soon as my medications soak in. He also cooked me a small and fresh pan of cornbread which was very appreciated. Dad cooks what we call "egg bread" in the South as he adds an egg or two to the batter to make the cornbread much richer.

No comments: