Sunday, January 08, 2017

Curse the Heavens and Let's Dodge Hell...

https://commons.wikimedia.org
It was 18° bone chilling degrees this morning as I drove to Walmart. There seemed to be nothing stirring as far as any life was concerned. I almost thought my car wouldn't crank as my battery struggled so to fire my frigid engine into life.

George was heading to the Waffle House, as he does at 6 AM every morning, and gave me a hearty wave hello. It was too cold for mingling and socializing, though. I still haven't found out for sure what happened to George that month he was gone. I guess don't ask and don't tell is the best policy on that. I am pretty sure it had something to do with drinking and driving or so my father says.

"We all bowl a gutterball sometimes," Horsefly will say about such matters as he often does.

"I can't believe I am doing this," I muttered to myself as I slowly backed out of my driveway -- my hands and fingers quickly going completely numb from the cold. "Those better be some mighty fine tasting bananas."

I drove by Kroger down Hwy 29 and they looked like they finally had just opened for the day. They used to stay open all night. I didn't take any chances in this cold this morning and headed to Walmart which would be a sure bet about being open.

Walmart looked like the retail holocaust had happened. There wasn't an employee in sight. I looked at some prices around the store and then meandered over to produce to get my bananas with my carryall in hand. I grabbed two large bunches of bananas and headed to checkout hoping an employee was now manning a register.

Charlie will be along in a few hours. Maggie, I am sure and I both are ready for a hot breakfast this morning. Charlie will curse the cold as well as I did leaving a little while ago. Horsefly must have his morning sausage biscuit rain, shine, or snow.

1 comment:

Christina said...

It's 14 degrees here in ATL. I am sick as a drowned dog with a nasty cold. I'd hate to go out so cold. Brrrr. It would be tolerable IF there was snow to play in :(

I love hearing about Horsefly, but I wonder who will take care of him after his parent's are gone? Does Charlie have a plan?

What a wonderful man, friend and father he is...to you all.