Friday, January 27, 2017

George Calls Me Bud and Papa Calls Me Chuck...

George was toodling down his driveway with the gait of an 80-year-old man. Maggie ran out and started to bark at him. I stuck my head out the back door to stop the barking.

"Hey Bud!" George said carrying today's newspaper down from his driveway.

He was hunched over (that osteoporosis look) and looking quite frail.

Maggie was barking furiously as I don't think she had ever seen George in a very vibrant colored article of clothing. His jacket was a very bright turquoise blue.

"Maggie! Hush! That's your neighbor!" I told her very loudly and sternly.

She ambled back inside, sat on the couch, and did her cough-bark routine.

***********************************************

Dad swung by about an hour ago smelling extremely strongly of aftershave. I was ecstatic at seeing him pull up in front of the house. He was sporting some suave "secret service" sunglasses. He gave me my medications and gave me a big hug and said something about my mother's death certificate that I didn't catch.

"It's hard to believe she is gone," he told me morosely of my mother as we watched the lake effect snow coverage on The Weather Channel.

I just nodded my head and said I think it is hitting all of us about now that she is gone. My sister said it hit her yesterday.

"You and I are going to take a trip north and experience lake effect snow for ourselves," my father told me on a very happy note.

That would be incredibly awesome!

Dad was also carrying Maggie's new ear infection medications. The other drops just weren't working so Dr. Thomas pulled out the big guns.

"Ten drops in the offending ear," my father told me. "And keep the drops in the refrigerator."

No comments: