Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Last Time I Saw Her She Was Smiling...

My mother was also badgering me not to forget my Cokes and a couple of cigarillos as I headed to the back door through the kitchen. Little did I know that she would be dead 15 minutes later.

About a month ago, my mother told me  that she wanted to be cremated. I don't know how we got on that tangent one day. I told her that I did as well.

Dad's leaving it up to us "kids" to plan the funeral. My brother and sister want a traditonal visitation at the funeral home with a graveside service in god's country, Waverly, Alabama. I am going to follow my two siblings lead and not make waves.

My parent's house is also a mayhem of madness. I took a shower and put on some dressy clothes and gulped really hard as I grabbed my steering wheel and drove over. Of course, my extroverted father was in his element. I just wanted to make an appearance and then leave. Dad made me shake everybody's hand and introduced me to everyone.

"Do you know?" I told my father last night. "If there is a god, then he's got a new secretary tonight and Jesus will have all is appointments covered."

8 comments:

Christina said...

Oh my friend.... I am so sorry for your loss. So sudden, so unexpected. Bless you for pushing through to show up for your family. I've been grieving since Nov 2 when I lost my second mother and best friend, Barbara. You may feel waves of grief, it's normal. Let it wash over you, it will pass.

Your mother raised a wonderful boy who is now a wonderful man. That shows she did her job well.

One moment at a time, friend <3

Christina said...

Oh, and I saw the lovely obituary notice online. She was an accomplished woman to be sure. And she loved you so much :)

Annabel said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm here if you need to talk.

Rita said...

I never knew her, except through your writings about her. I know that she will be missed. You and your father are going to need each other in the next days, weeks, months and years.

I know everyone is shocked by her death, as am I. I know you are not a social person, and I am an extreme introvert, but I want to give you a big hug. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Life is going to be different without her. My condolences.

Christina said...

Please keep checking in and writing. We are here and we care and want to know how you are.

Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

So sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth said...

I am so sorry for your loss, especially the shock of it for you, and your having to do the social things you hate most. Your momma must be watching over you to help you get through the next few days, and you know she will always be right there for you, but now free from pain and anxiety. Know that you have a lot of people right here who are holding space for you, Jonathon, and who care about you.

Cheryl said...

I just found your blog, Jonathan. I'm so, so sorry....