Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Quiet Time! The Eulogies Have Been Said...

Andrew's Honda
"I am really glad you came over," my father excitably told me as he hugged me tightly. No man hugs today. "The phone is ringing off the hook and I am laying low and not answering my calls."

It does feel like the calm after a turbulent storm. It was so quiet in my father's house. It was bedlam for the past few days causing all of us much consternation and secret strife.

Dad has more food than he knows what to do with. He walked downstairs to get a poppy seed chicken casserole in the basement fridge that he knew I would love. I also got another breakfast casserole.

"Mrs. Reeves cooked that and she is wonderful in the kitchen."

"I am giving you your mother's car and we are going to give Mrs. Sandra (mom's best friend) your Honda," my father then said stunning me and surprising me.

Mom's car only has 28,000 miles on the odometer and is practically brand new as she drove like a little old lady. I am sure going to miss my CR-V, though. I have mixed feelings about all of this.

4 comments:

glittermom said...

You had the crv a long time...that was your baby....I thoughthey gave you a car when your mom got her new one?

glittermom said...

I hope you get to the grocery store,you can't live on just casseroles. Do you need dog food?

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I would try to consider your mother's vehicle a gift to you from her. You will have it likely for a very long time. Knowing that is was her vehicle may help in soothing (not reducing, not negating nor eliminating... but in a brief, momentary way, softening the brittle harshness of) some facets of the grief you must be experiencing.

Grief is a very rough emotion, but through it you must travel on this journey. I am not sure how you are currently handling your grief. Are you avoiding it in some fashion because it is too enormous? Or, are you living in its harshness, but not expressing much of it? Both pathways are commonly taken, but I have found that trying to live within it, but to also talk and/or write about the grief helped me to maintain a more central path of emotion. Talking and/or writing about my grief helped me to avoid some of its extremes in terms of despair. *If* your grief is currently at a point where it is hitting you in a strength that is damaging, consider talking and/or writing openly about it. Again, it does not negate, deny, or cause the grief to subside.... nor should it do so... but it can help you cope better with it, and thereby cope better with your loss.

PipeTobacco

Christina said...

Mr. Pipe said it very elegantly and well. Jonathon, I hope you know you can write about however you're feeling here. We love you so much we will never judge you. I have been in grief since November 2nd when Barbara, my second mother passed. I've written about it too on my blog. It helps to write.

Just know whatever you want to say, however you wish it express it, is just fine.

Hugs

xo