Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Downside of a Dog Door...

https://www.pinterest.com
We had another visitor last night. I was abruptly awakened by Maggie's vicious barking in the wee hours of the morning. Quite a ruckus was going on in the laundry room.

"Just what in the hell is going on in there?" I mumbled to myself as I groggily and hurriedly walked to the offending noise.

My greatest fears had come to fruition as an animal had crawled through the dog door.

 I turned on the lights in the laundry room and found that Maggie had a possum cornered next to the washing machine. The possum must've been having an after midnight snack.

Well, I picked up the possum by his prehensile tail and took him to the edge of the back fence. The possum was surprisingly heavy as I put him over the fence and onto the ground. Isn't the possum the only marsupial in North America?

3 comments:

Rita said...

I think you are mighty brave to have picked that possum up. They can be very nasty animals and they like to show their teeth. Maybe it was relieved to be saved from Maggie.

diana said...

I had one last year too in my garage. He or she was huge but rather docile, I left the garage open all night and in the morning it was gone. It had been in there a couple of days trying to get out of the snow.
At least you don't have to worry about rabies as it's very rare for possums to carry the disease. This is partly because possums have a slightly below average body temperature, and the rabies virus can't thrive at this lower temp.

glittermom said...

I'm Surprised it didn't play possum....I use to have lots of them come in the yard at night...when the dogs ran at them they would just collapse and play dead....I would think they were dead but when I went out later to remove it , it would be gone..I. glad you got it safely out...they don't move real fast..I had a chipmunk in the house once and I had a heck of a time catching it...I thought I had it caught but I dropped it and then it didn't end well...