Friday, November 11, 2016

We Call It Supper in the South...

http://allrecipes.com/
What a busy afternoon and evening! I feel like a cat on catnip or cloud 9 as they often say. Elation! My taste buds and digestive tract needed a little TLC and the kind and welcoming socialization that was good for my soul and good for my heart as well.

"You're coming over for supper tonight Mr. Hermit," my father told me over the phone. "And I am not taking no for an answer, you hear?"

"Sir! Yes, Sir!" I replied loudly with a military cadence.

This caused my father to chuckle.

Charlie and his wife also joined us for supper tonight. Janice got busy in the kitchen with my father making a pan of her delicious cornbread. It is a toss up as to whether Janice or my father are the best soul food cooks.

"I can outcook Helen any day!" my father braggartly and boisterously said at one point tonight.

Yes, he had imbibed in a few glasses of wine tonight and the bravado was palpable. I always called alcohol liquid courage.

My sister was in town tonight and the Grand Kids had gone to Bay Minette, Alabama with their father.  Dad left about 4 PM to go to the grocery store before my sister arrived. My father cooked his deliciously signature pork chops and rice, steamed cabbage, boiled okra, and butter beans. I needed a good and delicious soul food meal like Helen would cook for all those years when she worked for my father.

1 comment:

glittermom said...

Growing up we always called it supper...seems people don't use that term anymore..now it's dinner..I still like it referred to as supper.