Saturday, March 01, 2008

Dreams, she said...

Rosa propped up on the edge of my couch as I was sitting in my lazy boy a moment ago.

"What would be your perfect life?" she asked out of the blue as a smile grew on my face.

"Me and you would run off, get married, and buy a big house with a big basement for my model railroad."

"I would like HDTV and a big screen TV," Rosa said, looking wistful as she habitually switched  TV channels. 

"We are so pedestrian," I told her as I chuckled. "We should be asking for world peace, fair play in politics,  and the cure for mental illness."

"We could have all that and more in my dreams," she replied.

I put my head back into the 2001 issue of Model Railroader I was reading. Big dreams went through my mind as I thought of all the wrongs that could be righted.  All the pain and suffering that could be abated.   Just by following the simple and altruistic dreams of a mentally ill dude in Alabama and his girlfriend.  Powerful dreams that if given the resources and the willpower could be brought to fruition.   I realized I am living some of the dream right now at this moment.  Feeling well.  Financially secure.  A warm and sheltering roof over my head to call home. It feels nice to be living a dream that so eluded me for most of my adult life.

"What would be Maggie's dreams?" Rosa asked of Maggie laying on the floor with her back legs stretched out behind her.  Maggie looked so comfortable. She seemed to be grinning herself. 

My smile doubled. "Cats to chase.  Pupperoni treats on the hour. And a furry companion about her size to harangue for attention."

"Ah, puppy love," Rosa said as I turned my attention back to my Model Railroader.

I then moaned as Rosa found one of the most boring and over-the-top television shows she could find and fixated on it.    "You like terrible TV," I thought.  I soon retired to my computer room to listen to the radio and blog some.  So much for dreams...

7 comments:

Tee said...

There's nothing wrong with dreams--we all need to have dreams. Aim for the moon, my friend. Dream big! Dreams motivate us.

CJM-R said...

I love this post. Lots to contemplate...

Lena

DayDreamer said...

Dreams... We all have them. They do motivate us.

I am going to spend some time when I arrive back home in about 2 weeks and do some serious catching up on your blog. At home I could ready you daily but I haven't been able to here in Chile.

I like home and garden television way too much. I imagine I must bore Armando sometimes when I watch some of the shows on there but I always offer to change it and sometimes just try to watch it when he is deep into a computer game like world of warcraft.

I am glad you have hobbies. I find that so interesting in people, the different things people enjoy and hearing people speak about their passions. You must share pictures when you get the house with a basement and set up your model railroad. :)

I am off to bed. Night Night Andrew.

-Michelle

Caroline said...

It's been a long time since I thought about my dreams. I sort of gave up. Good news about your brother. My very best friend in the world works at Bethesda. We laugh and call it The Flagship of Naval Medicine. Congrats to him! BTW...I'm going to email you.

Cheryl said...

What a writerly post. What would be my dreams...? My non-pedestrian dreams that is. I want a HDTV too!

Anonymous Boxer said...

World peace AND a HDTV! Is that too much to ask? :-)

Danny said...

I just wanted to let you know that I found a small glimmer of hope in this post. I am glad to hear that you are doing so well. And I know it sounds weird, but I have been following your blog for a few months and I really enjoy reading about your life. Thank you so much for sharing it.