Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Of Service...

There is no greater joy than being of service or helping others to me.  I lament the fact that I wasn't born in in a large city so I could get involved with volunteering in soup kitchens and homeless shelters.  I could see getting lost in helping others.

Joyce was in bad shape this morning.  She was habitually counting her medications when I arrived. 

"Look at all these pills!" she exclaimed as I looked on.

"You need to take those!" I replied flabbergasted.

"Let's call Johnny (my Dad)," Joyce exclaimed once again.

I managed to get her to take her morning medications and waited until I thought they had taken effect.  Maggie dutifully explored Joyce's house while continually nuzzling her hand as she sat.

"Oh, they make me so sleepy," Joyce said, her head in her hand. 

I took that as my cue to leave and wrangled Maggie back on her leash.  Joyce sprawled out on the couch to take a nap.  I felt like we had diverted another mental illness storm this morning.   Joyce has this tendency to be suspicious of her medications, needing reassurance that they will not harm her.   I sighed with relief when I walked in my door letting Maggie loose to run.  I might just need a nap myself. 

1 comment:

mosiacmind said...

naps can be wonderful