Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Whereas A Smoker Talks...

I had to deliver an oxygen unit and a hospital bed this morning.  I stepped inside the elderly couple's home and it reeked of cigarette smoke.  Gross, I thought almost instinctively.  Adorning the dingy walls was pictures of a military man, most likely Army, and he looked so young and dapper -- so virile and fit.  The man that faced me in the bedroom looked like the shell of that once proud man.  He looked defeated and forlorn.  But he was still smoking. 

"Emphysema," The man told me as I was putting together the bed.

My beforehand desire for a cigarillo faded away.  I put together the bed and showed the elderly fellow how to use the oxygen unit. 

"Don't smoke while using the unit," I told the man. "It will blow up!"

As I was leaving his wife gave me a ten dollar tip.  "Thank you, ma'am," I told her.  I was overjoyed to get the money. 

It has been years since I've even entertained stopping smoking, but wanted to today.  It was hours later when I finally lit up a cigarillo knowing my fate would be similar to that elderly gentleman who could barely breathe without help.  Will I quit?  A few more deliveries like today and I just may.  

11 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

Quitting smoking is a hard thing to do, but you are winning a far tougher battle with alcohol, and I have no doubt that you can do the same with smoking when you decide that you are ready! I'm delighted that your job is continuing and going well. Just getting out there every day and interacting with other folks is great. I am proud of you!

Judy said...

Powerful post.

Judy said...

Powerful post.

amelia said...

My grandfather and a girlfriend both died of emphysema and it's a truly horrible death with the affected person literally unable to breathe.

♥ Kirs@Rhette ♥ said...

You've done so much good for yourself Andrew. To stop smoking may be your next step.

I'm happy to hear your working & feeling better about yourself & life!

Anonymous Boxer said...

YOU can do anything.

:-)

Barb said...

The $10.oo tip that you received will only buy you 2 packs of smokes....they are so damned expensive~ I couldnt be happier that I quit years ago!

one thing at a time, you will quit when you are ready!

B~

Kelly Jene said...

I quit when I found out my sons grandmother has throat cancer from smoking. She still hasn't quit either.

When you're ready, you'll be able to. Thats the most important thing I learned about quitting. If you aren't truly ready, it's a rougher road.

Portia said...

Sure makes you think doesn't it? I smoke very little now, but am having a hard time letting it go altogether. Sucks.

Marilyn said...

I smoked for many, many years, and quit many, many times. I think this quit will stick: One year, two months, three weeks, four days, 8 hours, 30 minutes and 33 seconds. 9047 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,764.18. Life saved: 4 weeks, 3 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes.

I used the nicotine patch-your dad should be able to get them for you if you're serious. I wouldn't remommend that you use Chantix. Apparently some people have become very depressed using it, and some have killed themselves. (They should have kept on smoking. That will kill you too, but it's slower.)

Frankly, if I were you I'd get the sobriety squared away, then the diet, then the smokes. Or, smoking second and then the diet, because you will gain some weight from quitting smoking. It's a metabolism thing. Quitting more than one thing at a time can be really stressful.

Tammy said...

Wow! I need to quit and this is something I can print and put on the fridge to remind me. Thanks Andrew!
This is jsut what I needed. You just saved a life.