Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Post Positive!

I really admire people that can work today -- that their body works so flawlessly as to be sold to someone else for a given time everyday. Most people take this for granted. Everyday I step out my front door and get in my car for work, and I pray a little prayer that mentally I will function at a level where someone wants to buy my time -- my body, and pay me for it. I so want to work and I think my good blogging friend Sharyna summed it up when she wrote on her blog that a man needs to work. It has been ingrained into me from an early age by family and societal conditioning that I must toil a certain amount to feed myself and to support myself. My esteemed scholarly friend Thoreau would argue....

"In short, I am convinced, both by faith and experience, that to maintain one's self on this earth is not a hardship but a pastime, if we will live simply and wisely; It is not necessary that a man should earn his living by the sweat of his brow, unless he sweats easier than I do."

Ah, but to sweat doing a labor of love, and to get paid for it. That is true passion -- a passion I would like to share with every soul burdened by the toil that is their job.

5 comments:

Sharyna said...

I noticed your countdown on twitter. (cleaning done, vacuuming done etc) I do that too.

sharyna

Kelly Jene said...

Working feels good. After having to stay down due to my back, the times I am able to hobble around and put my house to rights and get things done, it feels really good.

Leann said...

We all have those days Andrew. I have the "whoa is me" days where I'm convinced I'll be alone and miserable the rest of my life. Fortunately they only last a day if that. The next day when I awake my view is refreshed and positive. Know you are not alone.

2sunset said...

I have been reading you silently (not posting comments) for a couple of weeks now Andrew - It is such a pleasure to read about how great (overall) things are going.
Of course there are complaints and unfortunate events, but "that's life" and your writing is always insightful, reflective and spot-on.

Thanks for these daily treats.

You are a true soldier of life and a student of your illness.

May blessings rain down upon you.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I think it's marvelous that you are getting back into the routine of holding a daily job, Andrew. It would be so cool if your dad would give you a regular paycheck like the others earn. I am grateful he provided you this safe opportunity to renew your work skills... and you are doing great there! He must be so proud of how far you've come, even if he doesn't express it in words. You are right, there is a satisfaction that comes in working and earning money for the things you want, even just proving to yourself that you can! I love that this job also gets you out into the community interacting with various customers - wonderful for developing social skills. WOW, you amaze me! Keep it up! :-)