Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Go Slow Tuesday

I just walked over to Joyce's house.  I knocked on the door as I could hear her television playing loudly.  She opened it and the biggest grin formed on her face.

"I need you today," I told her. "I am having a rough go of it."

"What's wrong?" Joyce asked, looking pained.

"I can't motivate myself to do anything.  I feel stuck in the mud."

I walked inside and took a seat in her den as she turned down her TV. 

"Talk to me," she said.

"I feel slow, tired, as if any exertion will push me over the edge."

"What do you want to do?" Joyce asked.

"I want to curl up in my Lazy Boy and read magazines and smoke cigarettes.  I need to be cleaning house, though."

"Screw that!" Joyce said which surprised me coming from such a pious woman.  "Go kick your feet up and take the day off."

"Honey, we are not normal people and don't do normal well," Joyce told me as I was walking to her door to leave. "You go home and do what you need to do to get through this rough spell."

"Come over in a little bit and eat a piece of lemon meringue pie with me," I told her as I left.

She smiled and said she would be over after a shower.  I am going to take Joyce's advice and just veg, browsing blogs and reading magazines.  It is going to be a "go slow" day before work.  I will mosey on in for work this afternoon and come home to a long nap.  I feel so tired today.  Exhausted.     

6 comments:

impromptublogger said...

Andrew, everybody has off days - that's for sure. Cleaning the dog hair is probably a good idea - that drives me nuts which is why I would never voluntarily have a long-haired dog. However, if you need some time off go ahead and do it!

You are still getting used to a regular work schedule, and one with different hours to boot. Have you reduced your diet Coke intake? That could be one reason you're sleeping so much. Otherwise have your meds been adjusted some more?

mosiacmind said...

Andrew first off thanks for answering about why you have not been emailing. Everybody needs down times and days off and more than typical those of us who struggle with various mental and physical issies O.K. then add to that you are working now I wouild be concerned for you if you did not need down times. I hope that you can give yourself some grace and do what you need to do to take good care of yourself. what did you think of the idea of a computer for joyce? please friend take good care of yourself.

Sharyna said...

I know how you feel. Every so often, I give myself permission to have a jammie day. Today is one. I am struggling thru a load of laundry and that's it.

sharyna

Judy said...

Everybody has days like that. Joyce gave you good advice. Relax.
The housecleaning can wait.

CJM-R said...

Yes, we do all have days like that especially after big transition times in our lives, like a new job.

Be good to yourself... and it must have been nice for Joyce to be a support for you today.

Lena

Barb said...

I like Sharyna's advise, making today a "jammie day" That is my new holiday...do what is best for you!!!

B~