Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Small Town AA

Ran into another AA-goer this evening.  I was busy at Burger King buying me and Maggie a few cheeseburgers.  

"Why haven't we seen you?" they exclaimed loudly. 

"Shhh--," I shushed quietly as I looked around nervously.  They smiled.

"You still sober?"

"A hundred and something days strong," I told them not remembering the exact days.

"We would really like to see you coming again!"

I told them of seeing Philip and my recent vow to start going again in the Valley.  I just enjoy the familiarity of my meetings in Lagrange.  They are big groups and it is not so inconspicuous when I don't have a dollar to give as is often the case these days.  Nothing embarrasses me more than when that basket is passed around for donations and I have nothing to give.

On the drive home, I was thinking of what I get most out of AA these days, and it was the companionship.  I get lonesome and it is nice having a like minded group of people to sojourn with.  Getting sober can be a terribly lonesome ordeal without the help of a support group.   Most drunks have pretty much destroyed any friendships or familial relationships by the time they've gotten in to AA.  Drinking buddies don't stick around long when you have nothing to drink. 

The AA meeting hall is close to my home so I swung by there to see the meeting times.  They've canceled another nightly meeting leaving only three meetings a week -- one of which is a Big Book study and the other a speaker's meeting.  That leaves one traditional AA meeting left in the Valley.  Dour times indeed for AA in the Valley.  I will be up there Thursday night if I can stomach the attendees. 

13 comments:

CJM-R said...

Good for you. You have a great deal of strength to share.

LOVE the new Maggie pics.

Lena

Kelly Jene said...

While it's nice to support your local area, this is still your journey and you should go where you are the most comfortable. Hugs!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

just go where you feel the most supported, wherever that is.
youre doing really well!

Portia said...

The support you offer others is worth way more than a dollar. You said it yourself- the struggle to be sober can be a very lonely one.

mosiacmind said...

it is a good thing to go to meetings but i know i had go to go to meetings that i felt comfortable at....hope that you have a good day.....

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

oh yeah about the pot: the people who matter dont mind andthe people that mind dont matter.
i used to feel very sel fconcious about not having a job or money when i was new. people used to take me out and pay for cups of tea because I hadnt the money to pay. i return the favour by paying for new peoples tea when they come out for coffee after as I know what it feels like to have no money. dont worry andrew, it gets better..

Leann said...

Hey Andrew, it's nice to hear you're doing well.

Love the pics!!

Kelly Jene said...

Hey! How are you? I missed you not blogging yesterday. Hugs.

mago said...

Hei - what a great picture.
Is that Alabama?

Barb said...

tap tap tap, this is Thursday, your tuesday post is getting a bit boring, get busy, please?!?!?

B~

ac said...

Love the new picture. Was this taken near where you live? If so, it is indeed God's country.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

wow! great new header pic!
i want to live there!

maggie would like it i think..
keep on keepin on bro

sandra said...

Andrew;

Hope all is well. Can you please at least twitter at us? I miss you today!