Monday, March 03, 2008

Too Trusting?

We had a very shabby, drug using looking lady come in the drug store this afternoon.  You could feel the tension in the air between the employees.  My father watched her warily as he filled her prescriptions.  

I went walking by and she asked, "Can you give me a ride just down from this store?"  "Sure!" I said, always too trusting of others.  My "nefarious" radar quit working years ago about the time I became an alcoholic.  I think all people have good intentions. 

Well... it turned out okay today, but I got a good ribbing from my father.  "You can't just give people rides like that," he told me.  It turned out she had cancer and that is why she looked so rough.  She looked like the poster child for a methamphetamine user, though.   My first inclination was to help her and not disdain her.  I, too, have looked pretty shabby during my homeless and alcoholic days.  All's well that ends well as the old saying goes. 

7 comments:

Leann said...

I too am too trusting Andrew. Most often it turns out o.k., however there have been times it was not so much.

NATALIE said...

Well, it was kind of weird of her to ask a stranger to give her a ride, but I commend you on not judging her for looking "rough". When my dear friend was very ill with cancer, she used to get all kinds of awful stares in public places. You just never know. But take care of yourself, too!

Portia said...

i am the bleeding heart that thinks everyone deserves to be trusted to an extent, and most certainly treated with the same dignity and respect regardless of their appearance. it gets me in trouble too but i don't think i will ever change that part of myself.

Judy said...

God bless you! You are a very kind person.

mago said...

Cancer makes you look like a junky. But there is a difference. It's in the eyes.
Don't ask, can't tell, see.

Where's Joyce?

justLacey said...

You have a good heart.

Jenn said...

Your instant inclination to always help people is one of your best qualities :)