Sunday, March 30, 2008

New to Homelessness?

 

When You Fall...You Fall to the Bottom

Every few days, we get a call at the office from people who are new to homelessness, and they cannot believe that they have to go to a shelter. They are losing their home or their apartment, and are calling around a long list of numbers hoping for some help. There are some who had no idea that their landlord was being foreclosed on, and were told that they had to find some other place to live. The middle class has shrunk over the last 25 years, and there are many more people who are in danger of being homeless. Here are a few things that you need to know in order to prepare for the "Brave New World" without a safety net:

When You Fall...You Fall to the Bottom

This is the kind of altruistic information on homelessness that you never get to read at The Homeless Guy.  Practical advice for when you find yourself at the bottom of the heap. 

5 comments:

Kelly Jene said...

Get anything in the mail lately?

Cheryl said...

That was an interesting and heartbreaking post. I read on. I've never read The Homeless Guy. I know you have a love/hate relationship with him. Maybe one day I'll check him out.

justLacey said...

What a good thing to post. Most people have no idea. I live in FL and in an area that has been hit hard by loss of jobs and foreclosures (which is why I am having a hard time getting a job myself).

forsythia said...

Thank you, Andrew. I will read this new blog about homelessness regularl, in addition to yours, of course. :-) . So many good blogs; so little time. Oi vey.

Sharyna said...

As you know, being homeless is one of my biggest fears. And you're right, The Homeless Guy is little help.

sharyna