Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Walking Man, Where Are You?

At one point in my mental illness career, I was a walking man.  I constantly walked.  The only way I could watch a movie or watch TV was to pace the floor in front of it.  I miss that.  I wanted to just walk my neighborhood today, but am afraid I will get to feeling unwell.  I would hate to have one of my "episodes" away from home.  I think I am off to pace the floor of my home.  Back and forth.  In my computer room and then into the den.  I know it looks crazy, but I am the only one home.  I feel I need this activity.   I feel so slovenly.  I need to feel like I am doing something good -- purposeful. 

6 comments:

impromptublogger said...

It is obvious you have some nervous energy to get rid of and walking is a great way to do that.

If you are worried about walking around your neighborhood, then drive to a local park or recreation area with hiking trails! It will get you out of the house and give you a change of scenery. And I bet Maggie will LOVE all the new smells!

Barb said...

walk on Brother, walk on with your bad self!!!

B~

Sharyna said...

I used to do what I called "trailer trots" (cuz I lived in a trailer). I would trot/hike/run from one end to the other and back again. Sometimes for hours. So you're not alone.

sharyna

Tory said...

Andrew, I love your blog so much. While I don't have Schizophrenia, I do suffer from other mental illnesses. The latest being Agoraphobia. You are so lucky you can leave the house at all! It's a huge deal for me and I hate it. I was also just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I am just too exhausted to live some days. I feel even more useless every day..which has of course, caused depression.
But when I read your blog, I don't feel quite so alone. You inspire me. Thank you. I can really relate to a lot of your social anxieties!
Take care
Tory

mosiacmind said...

My sister walks lots in her home on bad weather days and when she is just not feeling like getting outside. I think she has figured out how many laps make a mile and such. It seems really normal to me

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Hey if it works Bro, Do it!

"Do more of what works
Do less of what doesn't"