Friday, June 24, 2016

Thanks Are Due...

http://www.forbes.com/
Glittermom, Rita, and Amelia. Thank you for the feedback. Sadly, my father often uses my medications as a method of makeshift behavioral modification -- not really intent on lessening the symptoms of my mental illness,

If you've ever been to the psychiatric ward of a hospital, you would see plenty of seemingly drugged people walking the halls with their eyes looking glazed over like zombies. I call this the "Xanax haze" effect my mother can get sometimes. Drugged, malleable, and complacent. Mom falls prey to this much more than I do. She takes Zyprexa with is a much more sedating form of antipsychotic.

My father's (the feel good police) biggest worry and fear would be me talking all my Klonopin at once and not as prescribed. He doesn't want me to get "high" so he will not relinquish and let me take control of the pill blister pack. He will also feel out of control as he is a control freak and feels rabid about this topic.

Do I think I can take my medications without help now? I think I can and I've been asking my father for a one to two week trial period to see how I do. An ideal world would entail medications after breakfast every morning and I think it will help throughout my day as well. Alas, we have to take my meds on a schedule that is easiest for my father.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Johnny Otis, in charge!

This is how your dad could still be in control. He could put your meds in a bowl or container and set it out in the morning. You could come over and take them when you are ready.

Do you think you would stop taking them? I would imagine that they actually make you feel better? You are very in touch with what is going on with you mentally.

The father of my daughter's friend was a lawyer for many years. His job was to make sure that a certain group of people with mental illness took their meds. If and when they didn't, he would have a court date to mandate that they were to be institutionalized for a period of time, given their meds, and got back on the right path, and then released.

I also have a cousin who goes to an institution about once a year when he stops taking his meds.

glittermom said...

I don't think you would not take your meds...I would worry more that you would take them too often...could be very tempting if they were available..

skinny minny said...

just said this on another post...but what about a third party home health type service? when something happens to your dad who's going to be in charge?

Rita said...

I have wondered the same thing as skinny minny. Who is going to be in charge when your dad is not longer able to be?

I also like the idea of a third party administering your meds. Charlie does from time to time, but he too will not be around forever. I wonder if there is someone or a place where you could drive to, to get your daily dosage of medication. If you do not show up by a certain time, someone could call you or even come see you.