Sunday, November 25, 2018

Charlie? Meet Tracy! Tracy? Meet Charlie…

I was sound asleep when there was a loud knock on the door abruptly awakening me. It was a very rainy evening and the rain had lulled me to sleep earlier in the afternoon. I was so drowsy I could barely stay awake. Maggie was going bonkers so I knew who it was. It was dad and Charlie with my two pepperoni pizzas on this our Sunday night feedings.

“Andrew! How are you?” Charlie asked loudly as he stepped through my front door.

“Good to see you, Charlie,” I replied, giving him a hug.

Charlie went directly to gather all my trash and to give Maggie fresh food and water. He was all business tonight.

Then there was another loud knock on the door. “Who could that be?” I wondered. It was Tracy. She had a big duffel bag packed hanging from her shoulder signifying she was sleeping over. This was a surprise to me, but a very nice surprise. I welcomed her inside and told her things were busy at the moment.

“Hey Tracy,” my father said giving her a hug. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, Mr. John,” she replied shyly.

Charlie came walking out of the kitchen with trash bags in hand. During my slumber, I had forgotten to take out all the trash.

“You must be Tracy,” Charlie said putting down the trash bags to give her a hug.

“Tracy? This is my good friend and my father’s best friend, Charlie,” I told her.

“Nice to meet you, sir!” Tracy said.

“I’ve heard such good things about you,” Charlie told her. “You treat Andrew right!”

“You will hear more out of Charlie for sure,” I said with a laugh. “Wait till her finds out where you live and he will start feeding you!”

Charlie said, “Oh, hush!” and laughed.

Maggie was just beside herself during all of this. Tracy? Charlie? Papa? It was almost too much to bear and she happily went around greeting everybody and sniffing fingers checking ID’s.

Papa and Charlie soon left. They ran across the yard in the rain to Charlie’s car and drove off. Horsefly was awaiting his chicken tenders.

“Let’s get your car in the driveway and off the street,” I told Tracy as she handed me her keys. “Someone drunk will hit it in the night if we don’t.”

I braved the rain and pulled Tracy’s car in behind mine.

“You’re going to have to help me eat all this pizza,” I told her stepping inside and she said she was famished.

The pizza was piping hot as if just out of the oven making it doubly good and the cheese all gooey and stringy..

Tracy is now in the shower. We are going to watch Interstellar once she cleans up some and then go to bed. We both have early starts in the morning. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for Tracy. She has to work a full day and I think she has two classes tomorrow night.

No comments: