Monday, November 26, 2018

Let’s Get This Done!

I didn’t get in the bed until almost 3 am last night. I just couldn't sleep. I awoke this morning with a swimmy feeling in my head – a feeling of dire tiredness and responsibility due. Tracy left for the Humane Society 30 minutes earlier after breakfast. She slept well and was all chipper and happy this morning as I fixed us a quick breakfast of scrambled eggs and cheese toast.

I stepped into the Society and Mrs. Barbara was at her computer as she usually is.

“Hey Sweet Pea,” she told me which is her pet name for me. “There is a fresh pot of coffee made.”

“Good morning,” I replied. “I think I will drink a mug of coffee this morning. Thank you.”

The black bitterness was somehow pleasing and comforting to me. I could soon feel the caffeine mingling with my brain cells giving me a renewed vigor. 

I then went straight back to the kennels and got ready to work. I took off my shoes and slipped my rubber boots on and then tied on my vinyl apron. Cleaning kennels is dirty work. The power washer turned on with a whoosh and then a roar that was an affront to my tired ears. All I could think of was getting back home and going back to bed. I finished in a record two hours and headed home after spending some time with Tracy in the feline room. I helped her change the last few litter boxes and finished giving fresh food and water to the cats. It was my last gasp of activity.

I had a little cash on me so I stopped by Daniel’s and got four of their little crispy and well done burgers. I was starving and it hit the spot. I sat in the car eating them as I listened to Joni Mitchell’s Taming the Tiger album. I felt much better now that I was heading home. Respite was within my grasp.

Edit – I arrived home and took my medications. My brain was especially keen on them today and I felt 100% better within an hour of taking them.

No comments: