Thursday, November 29, 2018

Welcomed Guests and More to Come…

Charlie was telling me tonight that he doesn’t have to do so much for me these days now that I am in control of my medications. Charlie would always have to bring my meds on the holidays or when dad was at a ballgame or out of town for some reason. He would also bring me something to eat and drink as usual.

“I was telling your daddy the same thing tonight,” he said. “We both agreed it was a good sign that you're doing well.”

“I take those medications religiously these days, Charlie,” I replied. “I think I do better now than I have in years.”

Charlie agreed giving me many accolades.

“You are like a different person, Andrew,” he said. “You volunteer, you don’t drink anymore, you keep a tidy house, you’re dating somebody, and you take your medications.”

Horsefly was pacing the house as we talked. He then got fixated on all the myriad of colorful old computer parts I have on a shelf in the computer room. I can’t bring myself to throw them away – always thinking of making an old Windows 98 machine. He wanted one to take with him. I gave him an old network interface card. I hated to part with it, but it was my least desirable part.

“How is Tracy doing?” Charlie then asked me after he thanked me for accommodating Horsefly.

“My girl is busy,” I replied with a smile as I sat back down in the den. “She works a full day five days a week and goes to class Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights.”

“What is she going to school for?” asked Charlie.

“She wants to be a veterinary technician,” I replied. “She takes a lot of classes I couldn’t pass like chemistry. She’s pretty smart book wise.”

“You know that’s how I got my accounting degree,” Charlie said. “I worked in the mill during the day and took classes at night.”

“Well, we are headed to the bowling alley,” Charlie said. “Do you want to go bowling with us?”

“I better pass,” I told Charlie with a wink. “I am hoping some company will arrive tonight.”

A sly grin formed on Charlie’s face.

“Come on Horsefly. Let’s get you down at the bowling alley.”

Horsefly mumbled something incomprehensible and headed to Charlie’s car at the curb. Charlie gave me a hug goodbye and they were on their way.

No comments: