Thursday, November 22, 2018

No Pity Party Here…

green bean casseroleI had told Mrs. Barbara yesterday that I would come in and water and feed the animals Thanksgiving Day. She profusely thanked me. After a lunch of pimento cheese sandwiches and medications, I headed down to the Humane Society and decided I would just go ahead and clean the kennels while I was there. It took me about three hours and then everybody including the cats got fresh food and water. It was actually cathartic in a way and I enjoyed seeing my animal friends. The dogs were just overjoyed to go out to the outside kennels on this pretty and mild day. There was much barking and rejoicing.

I hadn’t been home an hour when my father and his cousin Jean pulled up in front of my house with a Thanksgiving dinner for me. I had all number of good things to eat. There was slices of roast beef, slices of turkey, dressing, the ubiquitous green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese casserole. sweet potato soufflé, creamed corn, and homemade rolls. Dad’s cousin had also brought a bag of her homemade walnut and chocolate chips cookies for dessert which are just sublime. I thanked Dad and Jean and there were many hugs to be had. 

Tuleana then called me and wished me a Happy Thanksgiving. She talked and talked and talked. She and Richard were stuck out at the camper today and had no where to go.

“Couldn't your mom come pick you two up?” I asked.

“She said she couldn’t take all that today,” Tuleana said. 

“Well, Happy Thanksgiving,” I replied sarcastically.

I got off the phone when the phone rang again shortly. It was my girl with the curls and the curves.

“Happy Thanksgiving Sweetheart!” she told me.

I told her what all I had to eat and she said I sounded blessed. I told her I went in and cleaned the kennels and she balked.

“I thought you were going to your brother’s house for Thanksgiving,” she said pensively. “That worries me.”

“It didn’t work out,” is all I said. “I needed something cathartic to do so I cleaned the kennels. I will have much less work to do tomorrow.”

“How was your Thanksgiving?” I then asked.

“Mom almost burned the turkey,” Tracy said giggling. “She got impatient and turned up the oven. It was taking so long to cook.”

I laughed jovially.

“I will be home tonight. Can I see you? I need to be with you. Will you please come and stay with me?” she then asked.

“You can count on it,” I replied. “I am dying to see you as well! I will get a bag packed.”

“Love you,” she said.

I reciprocated and we got off the phone.

I’ve already got a backpack packed with my sleep clothes and work clothes. My shaving kit is packed in as well. She’s going to call me when she gets home and I am driving down. It will be the first time I have slept over at Tracy’s apartment so this should prove to be interesting. Maggie’s going to have to fend for herself tonight and tomorrow until about noon. I am pretty sure she will be okay, but it is worrying me. I may get dad and/or Charlie to come over and check on her tonight. That would thrill her little soul.

No comments: