Friday, November 30, 2018

Volunteering is a Merit I Hope…

Tracy didn't arrive until almost 10:30 pm my time last night. I was beginning to worry about her. I called her on her cellphone and she said she was on the way and would be here in 20 minutes. Maggie went bonkers when she pulled into the driveway. Tracy embraced me at the door and welcomed herself inside. She said she was hungry so I fixed his some toasted shaved turkey sandwiches with a side of sour cream and onion potato chips and a dill pickle spear. She said it was delicious.

Later in the night, we were laying in the bed when she told me she knew I was going to be somebody special when I walked in and asked Mrs. Barbara if she needed any volunteers.

“You never miss and you show up on time and you don’t get paid for it,” she told me. “That’s dedication.”

I am still getting accustomed to having someone in the bed with me. Tracy wants to cuddle and spoon and it takes me a long time to fall asleep. I feel trapped for fear of waking her up so I just lay there on my side uncomfortable. I guess the old saying don’t look a gift horse in the mouth applies to this situation. It is just going to take some time and I wouldn’t trade her spending the night for anything else in the world.

Morning arrived when my cellphone alarm went off. Hit the snooze button Tracy said and I laughed. We laid there for a few minutes looking at each other longingly morning breath and all. Tracy then took a shower while I fixed breakfast. We had scrambled eggs and flaky canned biscuits this morning. Soon, it was my time to shower and then we both headed into the Humane Society.

The Animal Control officer showed up with a whole slew of new dogs to grace us. I muttered shit under my breath because that’s what I am going to be cleaning up. One was a Pitbull and I will have to keep an eye on him. I don’t care what anybody says they still scare me. All I can think of is the elderly Mrs. Pinkerton getting killed by a Pitbull in the middle of town while she was on her daily walk. Phil Pinkerton, her husband, was a friend of mine. He helped me keep my Chevelle running. The owner of the Pitbull received jail time.

1 comment:

Rita said...

I am with you about Pitbulls. I spend lots of time at one dog park in particular, with my daughter's dog. We never know who or what is going to come through the gate, but there is a regular crowd. There have been some really sweet pitbulls, and then, there have been some real problem pitbulls. You never know.

My daughter's dog is a Rhodesian ridgeback, and they have a reputation to be vicious dogs.They are not vicious, or at least the two we have had were not. They will be protective in certain situations, such as when someone rings the doorbell, but they are friendly and social dogs. They are social with people and dogs, but they are also cautious with new to them dogs.

I always think to trust my instincts and to be aware and cautious of new to me dogs.